New Tool (3.3): Keyboard Velocity Shortcuts - toggle global velocity and change it in increments of 10

Heyo! While writing a song I found myself wanting an easier way to change the keyboard velocity on the fly, and was surprised there was no built-in way or simple tool to do it.

This is a very quick hack I just made for my own use, I don’t know Lua, this is code copy-pasted straight from the examples and API docs, but hey, it works.

If your drum parts tend to look like this, maybe it will be useful to you too.

After installation, you will have new keyboard shortcuts you can set in the preferences, I’m using the numpad but you can use whatever you like:

There are shortcuts for 0x00, 0x10, 0x20, 0x30, 0x40, 0x50, 0x60, 0x70, and 0x7F, since I like working with those increments. It’s trivial to change them to something else by editing the code.

Here’s the thing, lemme know if it works out for you since I have no clue what I’m doing:

dog.aria.KeyboardVelocityShortcuts.xrnx (845 Bytes)

8 Likes

I came here looking for kind of exactly this! I want to use the numpad for a sort of ”16 levels mode” like an MPC would have. Can this script change the velocity and then trigger a note as well? I don’t have the possibility to test it myself right now :slight_smile:

1 Like