New tool (3.4.3): Piano Roll Studio v6.3 build 564 (May 2024)

I did turn off the textures. Up/Down is maybe 3 times slower than left/right.

I’m sure you’re right though, it’s probably something at my end, will try it with another mouse.

This behavior is not normal. You should have the same feeling of scrolling horizontally and vertically. No users have reported this particular problem to me so far.

Do you have another mouse to try? It seems to be a problem external to the tool or to the mouse itself.

Yeah, try trying another mouse. I assure you that the programming related to scrolling horizontally and vertically is the same. In fact, if there is a problem, it should be the other way around, because it may be the case that there is more horizontal distance (slower, until 512 lines) than vertical distance (faster, until 120 notes) in the total surface of the grid.

I think scroll would be a lot more precise than dragging notes in zoom out, when the grid is very small. Also could transposing like this could work in the song mode?

I will try this thing. I’ll probably add CTRL SHIFT + Wheel to transpose notes, but this will take a while, no promises though.

In fact, the PRS works very well with the very small zoom. even I myself was surprised at its precision. However, it is very important to have a high-performance mouse for this kind of thing.

No, this is not possible. In playback mode it is only possible to “locate” notes. It does not allow editing on purpose for several reasons (security and performance).

How about (optionally) block selecting notes in the pattern editor, when clicking and selecting notes in PRS’s song mode? Then I can transpose and edit in the pattern editor. The song mode gives a great overview.

What you can do is activate the editing mode in Renoise from the PRS. This is how you control the pattern editor from the PRS with the Renoise key commands. The steps:

1. In PRS, activate song play mode
  2. In PRS, press ESC. The play switch turns yellow.
  3. In PRS, you can now use the Renoise Pattern Editor key commands to edit. This is an alternative.

For example, with SHIFT F1, SHIFT F2 transposes all notes in the current track.

This would be too specific behavior.

@fiasko. This is already added and working for the next version. Although in song playback mode I don’t want to enable any kind of direct editing, I’ve made an experimental exception here. If I see that it is really useful I will leave it included.

1 Like

Piano Roll Studio 5.2 has been published!

I am pleased to announce the release of version 5.2.503 of Piano Roll Studio. This new version is of maintenance and includes some new features.

All new features are listed in the Update History (first comment on this thread).

This new version 5.2 of the PRS is a post-update, usually after a major version is released, that includes bug fixes as well as some new features.

Basically, this new version is about improving the existing text information overlaid on the panels.

Also, a new command has been added [CTRL SHIFT] + Wheel, which allows you to transpose the previously located Note Block or Chord, thanks to turning the wheel. For example, this allows you to adjust the pitch of the note when the vertical zoom is too small. This command works in “Note Edit Mode” and also in “Song Playback Mode”, being the only one that allows you to edit (make small composition adjustments) in this last Mode. This allows you to edit by viewing the other tracks with notes. Also remember that it is possible to isolate the tracks belonging to a parent group.

One more time, I think that I can affirm that the Piano Roll Studio 5.2 works polished so that you can use it with complete confidence, even for professional environments!

Enjoy it!

5 Likes

Hi @Raul, if you could send me a PM that would be great. New user, so I cant PM you.

Thanks for the great work and looking forward to supporting!

Hi @TheWave, I have sent you a PM to discuss this matter. Thank you for contacting!

Hello Raul,

I would like to purchase a license for the full version of PRS. Unfortunately, I have not yet found a way to send a private message to your account in the Renoise forum.

Please feel free to contact me directly to clarify the purchase modalities.
@pdigi

@pdigi, I have sent you a PM with the details… Thanks for contacting me!

Piano Roll Studio 5.3 has been published!

I am pleased to announce the release of version 5.3.511 of Piano Roll Studio. This new version is of maintenance and includes some new features.

All new features are listed in the Update History (first comment on this thread).

This new version 5.3 of the PRS is a post-update, usually after a major version is released, that includes bug fixes as well as some new features.

This new version adds more control to edit with the spin of the wheel of the mouse. Now the wheel has more prominence, allowing not only to transpose the current note/chord block, but also allows you to beat-clone the current note/chord block forward, being able to combine both operations to make beat-synchronized sequences. These editing operations also work with the song playback mode of the PRS. Although this mode is “armored” for editing, it is possible to work out small adjustments.

Other improved visual aspects are: viewing of the current clipboard bank. Buttons 1 to 8 of the top bar will now flash according to the selected bank.

In addition, the control of the loop of consecutive lines has been improved. Now it allows you to mark it (appears above the ruler), view the loop at all times, and also be able to release it without stopping playback. This makes it possible to easily edit the loop while it is constantly playing.

Other small unwanted behaviors have been fixed. As always, I advise always updating to the latest version available.

Enjoy it!

4 Likes

Piano Roll Studio 6.0 has been published!

I am pleased to announce the release of version 6.0.532 of Piano Roll Studio. This new version includes important changes and additions, which mark a before and after.

This new version 6.0 of the PRS includes some new additions and above all a new fully integrated sub-tool, called Pattern-Track Manager. In addition, 4 image monitor profiles and their possible custom configuration are included, among other minor features.

The Pattern-Track Mananger

The Pattern-Track Manager allows easy management of “Pattern-Track XML files” from the Top Control Bar. These files save all the relevant information of a musically complete Pattern-Track already composed (with its notes, note columns, effects, names, Track characteristics and other details). In this way, it is possible to recall the Pattern-Track in any song project.

All the “Pattern-Track XML files” are saved in the main “pat_trk” folder located in the root folder of the tool. They are categorized into single-level subfolders based on style or type, are text files, and are also editable by hand from a text editor, as long as the XML hierarchy and option names and value types (booleans, numbers, text strings…). Hundreds of Pattern-Tracks can be saved for later reuse!

> Caution! If the composer saves new “Pattern-Tracks XML files”, it is recommended to make a backup copy of the “pat_trk” folder for reuse later. This folder can be recovered in other versions or installations of Piano Roll Studio or even shared with other composers.

3_1_10

The control of the Pattern-Track Manager revolutionizes the use of Pattern-Tracks by allowing light data sharing between different song projects, light data sharing between different composers and drastically speeding up the start of each composition by lack of inspiration, by allowing to use “on the fly” ideas already composed previously, or even modify them and save them again for later use or quickly test them with different instruments…

All details are described in section 3.1.1 of the User Manual. At the moment, version 6.0 includes some Pattern-Tracks XML files for testing inside the “…pat_trk/Kicks” subfolder.

The composer can now build his own Pattern-Track Library for all his song projects and share them with other composers. This properly enhances the use of Pattern-Tracks!

Now you can share your Pattern-Tracks with other Renoise users. If you want to include your Pattern-Tracks XML files in future versions of Piano Roll Studio, send me a PM and we’ll see how to do it.

Enjoy it & start sharing!!!

8 Likes

This should be native. They should hire @Raul :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting a theme exactly like this ImpuseTracker theme! Do you know where/if I can download it somewhere?

You can get the theme “Impulse Tracker” for Renoise from this link:

The theme “Impulse Tracker” for Piano Roll Studio you can achieve a similar look by setting the RGB values taken from the image capture (“RGB Colors Custom” Panel from PRS Preferences).

https://forum.renoise.com/uploads/default/original/2X/9/9165d21791a0e5d6c3d957f6e9c97a35e8ba6795.png

I think that image capture is quite old. PRS probably has more color options now. But you can get closer to that aspect by following the image capture.

1 Like

Piano Roll Studio 6.1 has been published!

I am pleased to announce the release of version 6.1.560 of Piano Roll Studio. This new version, despite seeming like a minor version, includes important inclusions in the Effects Parameter Editor, as well as some details related to navigation and other secondary details…

This new version 6.1 of the PRS dramatically improves the curve creation randomization panel for the Parameter Editor. A new completely renovated panel is now included, which allows you to use randomization between a selectable range of lines, as well as calculate interpolation between two points (two lines) to create curves, both linear, exponential, and logarithmic.

In addition, it is possible to manually draw a quantity bar curve, and subsequently correct it with mathematically calculated curves. I explain all this in the following video:

Although the video is narrated in Spanish, it has automatic subtitles to be able to read it in English.

Enjoy it!

7 Likes