New Tool: Clear Junk Data

Great tool. Works great. Apart from …

I would almost always use this tool on “Whole Song” and have to click thorugh dozens of dialogs to complete the task.
I wonder why it’s not possible for the user to turn this thing off.

Yet, it might be for the author. vV has explained:

Noted the suggestion, thanks

You could try to analyse the slices to instrument tool that i created, i have used the idle routine for the progress bar to prevent Renoise from popping up that pestering dialog.
It works really ideally.

Will take a look, cheers!

Updated 2.8 version to tools page

http://tools.renoise…clear-junk-data

I feel it’s extremely inappropriate to make another request, since your tools have already made my renoise experience much better, but here goes:
I’m still getting the “script not responding” dialog (now on a brand new Windows7, i7 processor etc.)… If it’s simple to fix, I would very much an update since this tool could be very useful for me.

The trouble with adding the process that will stop the “script not responding” dialog here is that it will mess around with renoise`s “Ctrl + Z” undo function. To let renoise know the script is not frozen it is “paused” behind the scenes periodically. At each pause renoise takes the last chunk of actions the script did and adds them as a single undo. With this Clear Junk Data script acting on a whole large song it could equate to a large number of broken undo actions in a row. Something that could be undesirable if you realise after using the tool that you messed up some synth setting just before and undo might be your only quick way to rectify it.

I did add “Sequencer range” as an option to the tool, so that if you are working on a section you could say clear 10 patterns around fairly painlessly.

Here patterns 2,3 and 4 would be processed:
3420 clear junk data.PNG

I could add the “pausing” process for whole song but if it does create a lot of undo problems I wouldn`t put it on the tool page, but could leave it in this thread as an unnofficial beta?

1 Like

The Meta option also deletes midi commands (like M0 or M1). And the note-offs option only seems to delete redundant off commands when they’re in the same pattern.

Just mentioning in case you would want to update this tool.

thanks for reporting, noted for any future update