New Tool: Render Song To Soundcloud

Thanks for the idea.

The problem isn’t getting a return result from os.exectue(). The problem is that os.execute() waits for a launched process to finish. By launching something like oogenc, this is sure to trigger the wrath of Renoise’s “This script is taking too long, do you want me to abort?” message.

Right now I get around this by launching an app (open or start) that returns done after launching another app. This way the timeout doesn’t happen. Minus vV’s ideas, I can’t see a way of chaining two of these together.

Good times.

Perhaps we would need an extra parameter in the os.execute() routine that allows processing in the background?

if not os.execute("tool_to_execute",renoise.RUN_IN_BACKGROUND).observable:has_notifier(tool_results) then  
 os.execute("tool_to_execute",renoise.RUN_IN_BACKGROUND).observable:add_notifier(tool_results)  
end  

function tool_results(result_code)  
 if result_code = 1 then  
 print('something went wrong')   
 end  
end  

It’s up on SoundCloud now, too:

http://soundcloud.com/apps/renoise

Wooou.

Thanks for a great tool Conner.

I added something I ‘needed’ (render pattern sequence selection to soundcloud). In case anyone wants that, just add this to main.lua

-- Render selection function  
function render_pattern_sequencer_selection_to_soundcloud()  
 local s_pos = renoise.SongPos()  
 local e_pos = renoise.SongPos()  
 s_pos.sequence = renoise.song().sequencer.selection_range[1]  
 e_pos.sequence = renoise.song().sequencer.selection_range[2]  
 e_pos.line = renoise.song().patterns[renoise.song().sequencer:pattern(e_pos.sequence)].number_of_lines  

local filename = os.tmpname('wav')  

renoise.song():render({start_pos = s_pos, end_pos = e_pos}, filename, function() launch_soundcloud_app(filename) end )  
end  

and

renoise.tool():add_menu_entry {  
 name = "Pattern Sequencer:Render selection to SoundCloud...",  
 invoke = render_pattern_sequencer_selection_to_soundcloud  
}  

Thanks for the tool. It doesn’t seem to work though. I’m getting a 404 page after clicking “Connect” button. I’m guessing that it could be Soundcloud redesign mucking with it though? I would give you a screenshot, except I think you know what MSIE windows look like when they generate 404’s :)

Thanks grymmjack. I wrote SoundCloud tech support. I’ll keep you all posted.

I wrote a few days ago, no response from Sound Cloud yet. I sent both an email and a “Stack Overflow” request.

@see: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14022566/soundcloud-desktop-sharing-kit-broken

Patience is a virtue.

EDIT: Please “upvote” if you have a stackoverflow account. :wub:

You really think they are going to help you during the holidays?
Your turn will be somewhere mid-january :P

Haha no, but It’s been 7 days. I just thought I’d update the thread with more info in case anyone was waiting.

Thanks for trying Conner. I’ve logged in but my rep is only 11 on ubuntu stack exchange so can’t up vote.

“Hi There, a broken deploy killed the connect.soundcloud.com/desktop resource. We’ve fixed the problem. Could you please try again?”
-Source

Can someone confirm?

Regards,

This tool doesn’t seem to be working any longer. It opens a browser window which opens a soundcloud page. The page says I’m using too old version of soundcloud. So I try to hit update, but nothing happens. I assumed it was windows IE browser it was using so I updated soundcloud in IE but it would still not work.

This would be very usefull for me. I use Renoise 3.2 on windows 10

When i try to use the tool i get a Soundlocud Popup that is just white and empty. Its title is “Share songname on soundcloud” and i assumed id have to type in my password but its just empty.

2 Likes

Seconded, only get a white box.

Well, this tools is sort of a glorified batch file that opens Soundcloud’s software. You may have to report the bug upstream?

Windows:

Mac: