New Tool: Scale Finder (2.7)

Ah yes, I think I can. I will look into it.

great tool, as time saver and as a learning companion. Thanks for this one!

When I try this it scrolls down whilst previewing and the next chord I press appears further down the pattern… What have I missed?

Thanks.

Oh yeah, disable pattern follow. :)

Thanks Suva, I knew it’s be something obvious! Thanks again for your hard work on this, I will be getting a lot of use from it :)

A small nitpicking wish: Menu entry should end with “…” to indicate that its opening a dialog -> “Main Menu:Tools:Scale finder…”

I disagree on this. Traditionally the ellipsis is appended to actions, which are not carried away instantly, but after more user input after the menu selection. For example:

“Save as…”
“Print…”
“Insert image…”
“Organize bookmarks…”

But not:

“Preferences”
“Print preview”
“Document properties”

Etc.

“Scale Finder” is not an action, it’s the name of the tool that is started. If it would be “Insert chord…” then it should have ellipsis. This is a common usability rule and 99% of programs out there stick to it.

That rule is far to fuzzy and complicated to be usable IMHO. “Actions which are not carried away instantly” also can be applied to what “Scale Finder” does? My Firefox also notes “Options” as “Options…”, but “Print Preview” as “Print Preview”. I don’t see the pattern.

Not even wort a debate. You are right, but could you please nevertheless change it - for Renoise?

It is written down in several usability guidelines books. Microsoft one being the most notable. Microsoft calls them “commands”.
Sure, I will change it though.

Just wanted to say this tool is excellent! Have been wanting something like this in Renoise for years.

This tool is great. I did a little modification and added (to v0.3) a few new chords. Scale Finder now supports such chords as:

major, minor, augmented, diminished, suspended second, suspended fourth, sixth, minor sixth, seventh, major seventh, minor seventh, minor/major seventh, diminished seventh, half-diminished, seventh diminished fifth, seventh augmented fifth, major seventh diminished fifth, major seventh augmented fifth, seventh suspended fourth, seventh suspended fourth augmented fifth.

I plan also to add a five-notes chords (about 20). But at the moment I have a problem. The script does not insert notes, which are transposed over 12 semi-tones from the root note (for example in major ninth). Therefore, at this moment there is no five-notes chords. Please, author, or someone who is good at LUA to check and possibly improved the script, because I do not have at the moment, insufficient skills to find a suitable place and change the values.

download: http://www.mediafire.com/?fec4elv1jleap1l

Installing your script throws up the following message:

'C:\Users\plugexpert\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V2.6.1\Scripts\Tools\com.renoise.ScaleFinder.xrnx\' failed to load.  

Please remove this tool or contact the author (Cly/Suva [clysuva@gmail.com] netrunner's mod) for assistance...  

main.lua:236: '}' expected (to close '{' at line 234) near '<eof>'<br>```

</eof>

Try again this http://www.mediafire.com/?fec4elv1jleap1l
Hope this will be work :confused:

works! cheers

I’ll check what I can do.

I’ve found 2 version of the same chord for example:
major ninth - C4,E4,G4,B4,D4 (1,5,8,12,3) and C4,E4,G4,B4,D5 (1,5,8,12,15)

The second chord with D in higher octave sounds alot better.

I upgraded the version @ tools.renoise.com http://tools.renoise.com/tools/scale-finder

Please test it and let me know if it works for you. If you create new chord modifications or scales please send me the scales.lua file so I could update the upstream tool.

For chord pattern ‘100010010001001’ (1,5,8,12,15) still doesn’t work.
Doesn’t insert the last note (D5 for C).

I updated the script again. Now those patterns should work. (I also hope I didn’t break anything. :S)

now notes (pattern length > 12), that should be an octave higher transposed are inserted in deafault octave
for ‘100010010001001’ (1,5,8,12,15) instert 101010010001 (1,5,8,12,3). Instead of D5 is D4

edit. found some bug. For some 4-notes chords insert fifth note - root note transposed one octave up.
for example C7sus4#5 (C natural minor scale) inserts notes - C4, F4, G#4, A#4 and C5

I’ll be a little later.