New Tool: Ticky Roll

Think that is one for taktik?: iTickyRoll…

I have a new version that deals with this. It is already working but I need to polish up a bit of the notifier behaviour if possible. If I can`t get it perfect I will just release for now anyway as is an alpha.

New Update with shrink mode to get an overview of a whole track.

See first post.

Nice, I automatically reach for the shrink mode after I have a decisive lock on structure and rhythm.

To see a quick overview of how many points I have in a phrase and concentrate on its contour.

New small update: row numbers added and a small range bugfix.

Please see first post.

Some notes while using the Ticky Roll in shrink mode. I’m mostly using counterpoint compositional methods to test it.

I’m using custom color, track order, track and pattern naming to get my bearings. No use of Dsp’s yet.

1. One track and several columns for each voice, a new pattern and same track for variations.

2. Several tracks per voice and the columns to organize the influx of variations.

3. Several tracks per voice and several tracks for variations.

When using the Ticky Roll…

1. For example, voice 1 = column 1, voice 2 = column 2, and so on… editing the second voice goes into column 1 or any available spaces nearest to the left column if using several columns. I keep going back to the Pattern Editor to place voice 2 in column 2.

2. …hmm, I don’t think I’ve used it this way much, I think its to avoid a clash of same notes used.

3. This method I’ve used quite comfortably, even though it requires several tracks more than method 1 & 2. I use the Ticky less in this method though because I can’t easily compare several voices.

What I like about the Ticky Roll is exiting the other screens to one screen and see all of what I’ve combined in terms of notes in shrink mode. Kind of like the Pattern Matrix but the ability to see the combined note input. I’ve also tried to use the Ticky as a rhythm tool but it got weird when I tried to shrink it and some notes disappeared, mostly in the lower octaves.

Thanks for the feedback, I will have a closer look at your points during further development.

Also is it possible to re-create the steps of the bug about disappearing notes?

Related I don`t know if you may find this helpful aswell? a script I did a while ago that re-orders the notes in a track pitch wise, left to right:

Keybinding and Pattern Menu:

edit: now as an updated tool:
http://forum.renoise…705#entry298705

it is something I will be integrating into Ticky as a button at some time.

The uploaded file is close to the original conditions that caused the bug, but behaves the same as far as I can tell.

1. Place the player head at any number line and column.

2. Pop up Ticky Roll and shrink, notes disappear, then press normal and the notes are back in the wrong place.

Experimenting with different octaves has different results as well, some not buggy like

C 3
C#2

but

C 2
C#3

becomes buggy…

There maybe more variations in the bug but that’s pretty much how I came across it this morning, will post more if I come across any.

Thanks, will take a look.

Please see first post for quick-fix of this 0.521.

(edit now updated 0.522)

Awesome, will keep testing it.

I’ve got to say that the shrink mode is coming in handy in more ways than one. The funny thing is, that’s how I more or less notate my stuff on paper.

I decided to notate rhythm and structure in a separate manner because it got too convoluted and I couldn’t immediately see each important role, each important component in making each song unique, having its own personality before any signal processing.

With shrink mode, I can take a snapshot of all notes used per pattern & song, and give it to someone who doesn’t read standard notation.

It would be nice to have some sort of keyboard <-> fretboard converter, just a simple snapshot converter with no editing ability in terms of what the Ticky Roll can do, though the ability to modify the fretboard would be ideal, so it can be applicable to as many fretboard based instruments.

yes, this would be awesome! (= for me it would be enough if one could just select which note to tick in the tickylol by writing “4:7”, for example, which would indicate the pitch of the 4th string fretted at the 7th fret.

this would mean that no guitar neck gui (they are problematic in that they have pitch change in two directions) would be needed but only a text input box and an add button. (displaying which string/fret on the guitar that a particular ticked box corresponds to would be nice too.)

i’ve always had this “translation problem” and have at times even used tuxguitar to input notes and then export it as midi… but the program is not very good and is plagued by a horrible rhythm input method because it uses standard musical notation. (pauses and notes must all add up to a measure so one has to shuffle them around to try something new out. really stupid.)

I don’t know if a converter would complicate the Ticky Roll, maybe it should be a separate tool ?

A keyboard <-> fretboard converter would essentially be like a perspective shifter with out the bells and whistles that come in playing a keyboard or guitar, just the notes.

The reason I would opt for a fretboard gui is to see similar viewing functions as the Ticky like all notes used per pattern or song, in this case it would be on a fretboard, but with the added functionality of different tunings and setting what fret based instrument it is, bass or baritone guitars, banjo, 6 or 7 string, etc… edit: but like b4, just a simple converter with mod functions

A gui less converter might integrate well with the current Ticky though.

Standard tuning EADGBE

Standard tuning EADGBE

Dropped D tuning DADGBE

Some interesting ideas here :), some may be outside the scope of tickyroll but certainly some stuff to think about.

Here’s a more accurate conversion using the line number on the left as fret numbers, same as above really but I just deleted the spaces.

Edit: all 24 frets are accounted for, but the Ticky limits its viewing at 16 dec or 10 hex, thanks It-Alien for the converter.
Just move the line number and you’ll see the rest.

Nevermind about the fretboard gui, got a little lost. Sorry if I sidetracked things a bit.

Anyone could actually make any fretboard representation using 1 track and several columns, in this example I used Taktik’s Find and Replace tool to mark notes used and then deleted notes that weren’t used in order to plan an arrangement on guitar stemming from an original programmed composition.

@ 00.1, no problem, suggestions/ discussion always welcomed! :)

@ everyone there is now a new Multi track version of Ticky available in the first post.

It is a separate tool for now for ease of scripting, access is via a keybinding.

This version will show the current row for all tracks in a song.

use the line number in the Ticky Roll as fret numbers and check marks as strings to find your note on string 4 fret 7

minor volume/velocity bug, can’t access through keybinding.

7F and 80 is essentially the same, but if I focus on a track that has 80, i can’t access either Ticky, otherwise you can access them if focus is elsewhere without 80 in volume column.

hey! will try it once i get home from work! (=

Thanks, I will take a look.