New user questions - looping, saving, working with breaks

hi!

1. when using redux, how is saving handled? when i save a project in my daw and check the folders, it appears that the instruments/samples arent being saved with a project. what precautionary steps do i have to take to make sure i dont mess up the references to other projects? should i be copying and using project specific instruments?

2. when i slice a sample, its mapped across the keys - is there a way to slice a sample and have it mapped to one key and just use the slice command to sequence?

3. when i’m chopping up a break, i typically chop chunks that follow the main hits. when i slice a sample, i’m assuming that slicing is retaining the timing information. is there a way for me to remove slices, but still retain the timing information for the rest of the sample?

4. is it possible in redux to change instrument preset via program change?

thanks in advance!

Bitwig point of view as the DAW:

1. I believe the Redux state is saved in the DAW project from an patch/xrni point of view. If you do choose to press save on the instrument that will overwrite the xrni on the file system but you will be prompted if this is ok. If I load a project that has a xrni that has changed since last opening I had to reload the xrni in Redux to see the changes. I do notice some of the GUI settings are retained at VST level, browser is one for example.

2 Only way I know to achieve this is using phrases and the Sxx command. For example the sample you want to slice on C3 and then create a phrase with C3 every time you want a slice to play and the corresponding Sxx command in one the FX columns

3 Not really sure what the question is. If the sample is sliced it depends on how small the slices are the smaller the more you have to do keep the timing of the sample either mapped out across the DAW Piano roll or in the Phrase. If you do Render Slices to Phrase and depending on the quantise options the render process will try to keep the timing by adding values in to the delay col to adjust the timing and keep the feel.

4 AFAIK Program change is reserved for selecting phrases.

thanks for your response! messing around in redux actually led me to buying a renoise license so i dont have too many troubles anymore.

1. thanks, i did some experimenting and this is the case and not difficult to keep in mind when working.

2. this was a great eye opener for me with using phrases, i highly appreciate the tip! in some strange way its like being able to use a sample as midi.

3. so let me try to explain this better. say i’ve got a 1 bar break chopped up on the 16ths and enabled “play until the end” on. renoise is going to map 16 keys for the chop. since i chopped it at 16ths, the timing is pretty tight - but i only actually need the first kick and the 2 snares for what im trying to do. is there a way to maintain the slicing to 16ths i did, but delete the slices i dont need to use? so in this case, taking my 1 bar break from 16 keys to 3 keys (kick + 2 snares) ?

4. pgm change is no longer something im concerned with since im using renoise, but i appreciate the answer on this!

No worries. For question 3, there is another way that may help you and is not well known
1 Load your break into the instrument and don’t chop it
2 In the keyzone section click the drum machine button
3 Press the + on the samples section for as many samples you need
4 Highlight your section of the sample you want to use say Kick

5 Press ctrl+shift+C
and a copy of that selection is in a new keymap
6 Rinse

and repeat

this is really great information and exactly what i was looking for! thank you so much for taking the time to detail the explanation. this is actually a great technique for more than just a drum loop. much appreciated!

edit: in case anyone is trying to do what i am - i took the break and chopped it as normally, setup beatsync to repitch it, then resampled the break at the timing i wanted to use. from that point i use @darlomrh 's tips to separate the chunks that i want. this helps me organize my drum chops across the keys much better, allows me to make a lot of edits and copies, plus i dont have so many wasted mappings for start points i wont likely use.

thanks again!!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.