NewStyle AXS 3.0b4 Win32 Now Up on Archive.org>>>

Hello, been awhile as I can’t access here from any XP browser… However have a windows 10 machine soon to become XP again so figured I’d update on here while I can…

Just uploaded AXS onto archive.org today…App, skins I made, charts, manuals, fan wall & GIFs, song start templates, tunes I made, utilities, My custom synth bank, tutorial GIFs…etc…

There are more of my old skins than new-

I recently made some new one’s that I have changed the 2.03 to the correct 3.0

Certainly not for replacing anything I like it’s extreme stability (no crashing ever) & can handle most any kinda sample size matters not even saves large song files one I did was over 200 MB pretty good for a 460 KB Tracker… Has note velocity based filter modulation for samples & synth & ‘smart patterns’ which Arguru incorporated into NoiseTrekker 2 & are still there in current Protrekkr…

Great sidekick 16 tracks, multi-timbral subtractive synth that still sounds great… MIDI input works well too if you wanna use the synth as a sound generator…

Has a ‘unified’ stereo environment so no panning except for delay pan. But with the smart patterns one can export a track at a time then bring into multi-track… Have not done that yet as I like to be more what? A purist? A hoar tracker?

If you are not interested but are curious of the sound here is most recent, no post process-

Before is this one…I closed this soundcloud account about a year ago but they seem like they’ll never delete it. Soundcloud is the new facebook>>>

A 30 second jingle for those with little time or poor attention span-

I have more but I think that’s enough to get most running for the door…

4 Likes

Hey, I remember AXS, that thing was awesome, the synth sounded great too!
Used to dig the pgUp and pgDown system, was alotta fun : D

Thanks!

Good Talk Jek… Yeah it’s still awesome. Some say “Well the synth sounded good back THEN”. That also means it sounds good now. You won’t see me throwing my '73 Fender Jazz Bass in the trash just because it’s old…

The key is to find inspiration in the challenge of the constrictions… as you only have 128 possible sample slots, really makes you scheme on what instrument is gonna have what octaves or perhaps playing a bit ‘clever’… In AXS Jazzmonger I only had space for two octaves of the electroacoustic so had to engineer play carefully…

Good Night All>>>

Never heard of AXS, but thanks to you i got it running today on Wineskin. Even though the interface is really strange with its horizontal orientation, that’s an amazing synth engine, that very low profile and sounds really good. Thank you :slight_smile:

OK, Kool checking back a bit later garner’s another interest I see… Nicely bold & testicular…

So a few tips for anyone else interested… Rendering to WAV sound is louder & a bit brighter than in the tracker so best to have volumes scaled back a bit lest you hit saturation which happened to me in pulp friction a couple times but I care not, close is good enough…

Using a simple MIDI keyboard is OK but good to pipe it through a decent MIDI app so it can output MIDI channel as well as program… MIDI channels 1-7 are the synth instances and programs 0-128 equates for the synth presets. Channel 8 is the sampler…

I often use free Spacetoad for such then into MIDI matrix then into AXS, of course your mod wheel is cutoff & if you can send MIDI CCs pretty much all controls available…

By pressing down CAPs Lock then moving a slider or knob either onscreen or hardware one can input FX commands in realtime…

Blocks are fixed at 64 steps so unless you go ‘In & Out’ of triplets within 64 steps but wish more global triplet ability & are 127 BPM or under best to double the BPM side benefit is smoothness on fast glides/slides and pitch bends…

Because of limited visibility of tracks you would think navigation to be terrible but you simply RMB on a track mute to get there in exact same note line/lane…

I mostly plan ahead so like to build song templates & for most part fill all 128 sample slots sometimes making variants of such. If you don’t use a sample in the song AXS will delete it so I use first ‘000’ block as a dump to play all samples then mute them all out. If you add as you go then no problem… Also intelligent placement within various octaves helps faster navigation recently figuring out placing drums at the end of the song file works better since drums are usually the very last instrument I add to a song… Just figured that one out, I know… doltish…

Pretty much the most important points… have not maxed capability yet, maybe used 12 tracks total in a song with 4 synth instances plus sampler… So that still leaves 3 synth instances and 4 tracks with any different instrument on any track on any block so one can mix it up…

Good to make use of the note velocity based filter modulation to ‘change up’ things so they sound different even though same crap is playing…

2 Likes

Something happened to my upload at archive,org… Will be fixed soon (or later)…

OK looks like a crazed AXS fan has a mirror here-

https://archive.org/download/TalkOrBell-Audio-Software-Archive/AXS-FullPack.rar

On subject of AXS i have a WIP that is not significant other than I was able to get AXS synth section to phase-shift between two chords umm fairly well… Worked several hours to get as good as I got & since attack is toned down one has to start the next chord well before the next pattern block plays. Sounds better when other instruments are played over it as it’s far from perfect could be done better in much else but in this case a 352 KB tracker that was ported from DOS so try that environment on for practice…

There are only gonna be 2 chords in whole tune except for ending which will probably be a suspended chord… It’s just Ebminor7 to CMaj9 so on upper register of QWERTY you press 3-5-7-9 then just slide up to E-T-U-O adding the Q key for the CMaj9th root… Done!

So probably mostly synth soloing to finish out but I gotta change-up drums-bass often to prevent it sounding like a machine looping so more work than you think>>>