Nibbles - FT2 Lives! (3.0)

my sick patch!!

“you’re score” -> “your score”

:>>>

can’t wait to get home and try this out! good job!

1 Like

Version 0.3 available:
http://tools.renoise.com/tools/nibbles

Added high score feature, fixed a typo (thanks maes), optimized redraw procedure.

1 Like

If you downloaded Nibbles v0.3 between now and the previous message, please re-download.

I changed the way high scores are saved, to be more compliant with the available API. If you want to keep your high-scores between now and the next version of Nibbles, you’ll need this change.

I didn’t change the version number, this is a silent update.

1 Like

What’s this, lemmings for the spectrum 48k?

it’s artillery, only they’re throwing bananas ^^

The name of the game was “Gorillas”, actually. It was a demo for qbasic included in MS-DOS since, dunno, 4 or 5 or so… :rolleyes:
I’m feeling old right now… ;)

1 Like

Nibbles version 0.4 now available.

Compatible with Renoise 2.7 / API V2.

This post acts as a temporary placeholder until tools.renoise.com is sorted out. Go tools, go!

1 Like

I have no intention of coding this; no time, but it should be easy enough. Would add a lot to the atmosphere of the game

1. Add an option for BPM to increase the closer nibbles’ mouth gets to the food.
  2. Everytime nibbles eats, a track or note column is unmuted ie song develops as you progress in the game
  3. Maybe someone could make a suitable track or two??

Latest version has been added to the Tools page:

2.8 compatible version added to the Tools page:

1 Like

Here’s a patch that makes it so that the BPM is increased by 5 every time you eat. Comments?

What should one do with this?
3813 com.renoise.Nibbles_Rns280_V0.65.xrnx

It’s got a level system and levels from the QBasic nibbles (kindlly provided by the Free information society).
I’m not sure how to proceed with this… And some of the features were left somewhat incomplete… I envisioned a level system such that one could add new levels as ‘packs’ by adding more levels.lua -files. Named descriptively of course. But that would probably require the level_defaults stuff to be actually working for a different sized matrix per pack (or per level) and such features.

But this one works for the most part. It’s still got a bug that erases wall parts, I’m suspecting it’s got to do with the snake’s tail… dunno.

Eat 'em up!

–edit
fixed a bug.

1 Like

Aha nice, a tool with DLC’s :D
Try to put the levels in Scripts/com.renoise.nibbles_content and from within nibbles refer to that folder for any dynamic content (like levels and keeping score).

Hey this is great!

I don’t understand why there are two level files though (levels.lua, qbasic_levels.lua) I also haven’t played it enough to trigger your erase walls/tail bug. Can you write the steps to reproduce so I can help debug?

After, let’s add your co-authorship to the manifest as and deploy this?

1 Like

Argh. Thought I rm’d the ‘levels.lua’… And it flashed to me now that the wall erasing MUST be that the level is drawn before the snake is erased so that when ending a level if the snake is on a place where there would be a wall on next level, it sets the wall cell to background. It must be that.

Woo! But I’ll check that assumption of mine this evening and flush the ‘levels.lua’ for good.

1 Like

I didn’t run into the error again after switching the order of drawing the level and the snake. Maybe it was that then. But I’m still not sure…

Here’s the fixed version. Haven’t managed to crash or bug it or anything. The code has some loose ends, though.
3815 com.renoise.Nibbles_Rns280_V0.66.xrnx

Great KMaki! If we center the levels in the window and maybe mess around with the graphics ^_^

:D :D :D :D

Actually I had in mind that it would be cool to insert some option to select graphical themes. Or maybe even so that a “level pack” would include the graphics as well.

The levels being offset a bit stems from the QBasic source I had. I just ported the levels as they were, and it happens that the QBasic nibbles levels were drawn so that those two rows at the top were reserved for scores and lives. (Lives. Now there’s something to implement, actually. Now it’s permadeath only). But I agree that it’s a bit silly to have the two top rows empty.

—EDIT
Now it would be really, really cool if some kind soul that has access to the ft-nibbles levels in some form could either volunteer for making ft_levels.lua, or just post info about them. I’ve just seen portions, but what I’ve seen suggests that the levels differ to some extent.

KMaki: Take a look at the FT levels I have attached. They are different than the QBasic version. Some of the FT levels look difficult. Not to mention converting them into your ‘level function’ format ;)

I didn’t know FT2 was written in Borland Pascal :)

Here’s a quick version using some FT levels :)