Nintendo Ds Tracker :)

i had forgotten about it because i assumed it was a toy like the others, which is what it sounds like. or even if it is more advanced, it’s not what i need

You’re kidding, full speed PSX??? Wow, I’ve gotta go get me one of them things! :D

Nitrotracker on DS is nice, but needs more development to be fully functional. Tried it more earlier this week, and with no pattern commands or anything it’s kinda lacking.

Nitrotracker is lacking? That’s disappointing. I just ordered an R4DS and will be getting that set up very soon. Maybe somebody else will pick up the source code?

Got Nanoloop 1.3, which is sweet!

Eee PC is definitely too small for comfy tracking. Also, it’s got a Celeron CPU, so I suspect it wouldn’t be enough processing power, especially with VSTs. Asus released a laptop which uses desktop CPU and memory. I bet that would work well. As far as laptops go, my Sony* Vaio VGN S-460 is certainly powerful enough to run Renoise well.

What about GP2X? Any tracking software on that?

* eeeeeevil

yep yep, it’s the official PSX emulator from Sony, except it was hacked about a week after it came out, to work with ISO’s :D

there’s one called littlegp. overthruster used it for several SDCompo entries
http://www.10pm.org/nostromo/lgpt/

http://robot-dreams.com/nahc/ovr/overthrus…by_a_turtle.ogg <— here’s one of his entries if you wanna get an idea of what can be done with it

yeaah! I would love to get my hands on one of those GP2Xs. LGPT seems extremely promising, very high quality sound for a portable…shame about the battery life though - it’s like what, 2 or 4 hours?

sagosen - is Milky pretty usable on the iPaq or does it feel clunky? I guess what I’m really asking is, how does it compare to using full-size Milky?

Anything without a full keyboard in terms of tracking feels cluncy, to be honest I gave up on tracking on the iPaq quite quickly (que pasa quality-conquistador?), but that’s just me. I like playing with the DS because of the dual screen thingey, and kinda wish I didn’t sell my iPaq sometimes so I could play with Milky again and give you a REAL answer. But, well, now it’s sold. And you just have to judge for yourself. :)

what about using one of the fold out keyboards on the i-paq… can you use the keys to enter notes???

Me = dork because I already knew and forgot. Thank you for the reminder. “Little Piggy” Tracker!

Been using nitrotracker today.
Its lacking a lot. It can play back samples, trim them and add destructive volume envelopes that arent exactly complex.

But… Its bloody great. Ive recently been on milkytracker on an ipaq and although thats very good… more features, more memory, etc etc… it feels likes something that works and not something that WORKS!!!
Nitrotracker has the start of the same buzz about it (in unfinished form) that lsdj/nanoloop, an asr10, renoise or a guitar or ukulele has for me. I really hope the guy keeps working on it. He has a really good eye for this stuff despite apparently not being a muso.

Prob should have got a gp2x and not a pocket pc… that other little piggy thingie looks good too… oh well…

I’m with you there, krisamouse… The tracker has a very good ‘feel’ about itself, it needs more development of course, but it can definetly become not just a fun toy, but a useful notation tool. :)

nitrotracker rocks… but is too buggy!
i get all sorts of saving corruptions and end up with 0 byte files :X

Its a bit buggy but saving bugs might be to do with your hardware from what ive read on the gbadev forum.
Im using an r4ds and have had no save issues.
I have had a few nasty moments where its frozen up when trying to fill the tiny smidge of ds ram with beats but nothing else.

It def has more than toy potential i agree sagosen. Im going to keep an eye on this and post here if it goes back into development in a big way (he says it will) cause it could do with a few keen trackers giving feedback.

If i had any idea of how to set up a little forum for handheld tracking… milky, nitro, lsdj, ltpg tracker etc… i would. 2008 is going to see some new bloody powerful devices for homebrew/emulation. If they can start to cope with their own set of vstis and vsts who knows how good they could get?

i’m going to try to get protracker working on the amstrad cpc emulator on psp :)

I got rid of the ipaq and might get an gp2xf200…It can run (deep breath):

LTGPtracker- which is great as has been said already and is in enthusiastic development by a very nice seeming guy. LSDJ for the future? droooolllll…

Milkytracker- For making things to work on in renoise later (though i prefer the feel of nitro this is more poweful)

AND it can run either a version or an enviroment or something for pure data!

If i dont sit on my hands ill end up buying one…

Nitrotracker is the best tracker on the DS. That’s really it though, it lacks some fundamentals, like being able to set volume for notes. It can be really frustrating sometimes.

I use it when i have to wait or when i’m on the train or something. I’ve made tunes made from nothing but DS-sampled train and announcer noises.

Had to mention this though some of you may have heard of it already…

http://openpandora.ca/

If you re thinking it looks like crap its just a very basic box design. It ll be open source, bloody well specced (a gig of ram) and barely bigger or the same size as a ds.
Might be an amazing mobile tracking platform.

Dont hit me its just a bit of tech pron to enjoy… :)

Wow, looks cool! More info here:

http://pandora.bluwiki.org/

I have Milky on my PocketPc now, thanks to a tip from someone on the board here.
Nice and renoise imports MOD files good.
Perfect for on the road.

k

Im just trying to get milky running happily on my gp2xf200.
Im preferring piggy tracker cause it feels more native to the platform but as you say milky projects open up in renoise happily (as do nitro projects of course). Piggy isnt xm.

I assume that even when its finished and out this pandora thing will need some time to work through the inevitable kinks. mid 08 might see me buying one if milky and piggy are on it (they should be). Ill spend some time in between pretending to myself that a port of renoise is even faintly likely.

I know… i know… but i can dream.