Noodletrap - Is this a Piano Roll Substitute?

I miss my FL Studio piano roll. It’s just harder to imagine notes in my head, figure out which keys they are on my qwerty keyboard then lay them down in Renoise. It’s much easier to put a rough idea down on a piano roll them move the notes around and lengthen/shorten them until I get what I want. I digress…

I looked at Noodletrap and installed it but don’t have the slighest idea what it’s doing or wants to do. I read the thread on it but that didn’t help much either. I guess the assumption is you already know what you’re doing. I’m a Renoise noob and I don’t know what I’m doing.

In Laymen’s terms what does Noodletrap do and how do I use it? Youtube tutorial anywhere?

PS - I did rewire FL Studio into Renoise but the solution is not that elegant.

Noodletrap is definitely not intended to be a piano roll replacement. It’s more like a sketch pad for your musical ideas. You fire it up, start recording, jam out a melody on your keyboard, and then your performance gets captured to a new phrase within the instrument. You can quickly make several different takes to experiment with different ideas. Once you’re done, then you can decide which phrase(s) to keep for your song, edit and tweak them a bit more, and so on.

PS. Since Noodletrap is a 3rd party tool, not a native feature of Renoise, it’s probably better to ask further questions in the tool’s own dedicated discussion thread. I’m sure that danoise, the tool creator, will be happy to assist you.

This may or may not be of help: https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-pattern-pone-pattern-overview-and-editing-tool/41881

That’s just what I needed. Reaper is a lot more lightweight and rewires better into Renoise. I never even heard of it before you mentioned it. Is there any way to sync the actual piano roll so it comes up in renoise as notes with note-offs?

Maybe you can use Image Line minihost vst, you will get pianoroll and modular possibilities.

Soundwave you can only make a midi out from reaper>midi in to renoise kind of set up. I’m currently rewiring Cubase instead. When reaper improves it’s midi maybe I’ll write a reaper renoise ‘bridge’, in which reaper acts as the midi editor and renoise as the ‘instrument’ directly, without midi and rewire.

A very simple and genuinely free daw to rewire is traktion 4

Wow, this is pretty cool. Check the image, I’ve got FL Studio piano roll working in Renoise as a VST plugin. I did it with the Image Line Minihost Modular. I’m currently playing the notes for my leads in the FL piano roll, then transposing them into a Renoise track but this is inefficient (still better than what I was doing).

I’m messing around with the settings and how can I get the midi out from this piano roll to record directly into my track 1. I want it to show the notes, the note offs, etc. I’ve got the piano roll outputting to midi (green line/out), I’ve got all the midi output dropdowns selected, and I went into Renoise’s midi tab and picked the Minitab modular VST. When I hit Renoise Play & Record I can start my piano roll, I can hear it, but nothing records, no midi, no wav, nothing. Hmmmmm???

I’ve seen piano roll in Radium music tracker. The coolest feature of it is that lines can be diagonal, representing glide. Unfortunately Radium doesn’t have many features that Renoise has and more restrictions in free version. To combine best features of these 2 trackers would be fantastic.

If only lua could support detection of mouse movement (not just pressing of button) I could try to code such tool. Drawing rectangles and lines would be helphul too but I think it could be done without it. But anyway I had to spend much time on it. Maybe I better just try some other soft? What could you recomend? I’d try this Image Line Minihost but I don’t see where it can be downloaded.

If only lua could support detection of mouse movement (not just pressing of button) I could try to code such tool. Drawing rectangles and lines would be helphul too but I think it could be done without it. But anyway I had to spend much time on it.

You can track the mouse with an xypad hidden under all other elements. The trick is to use negative margin values to overlay racks.

It’s absolutely doable. Looking forward to your piano roll! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the idea. Could you remind me one vital thing - how to update UI? For example I have value field and “for” loop in which I want to draw lines with text. Lines count is defined in value field. When I change it, nothing happens.

I just had a thought. I hope it won’t be impudent if I share it. What if devs be so generous and reward users that contribute useful tools with unlimited version of Renoise for free. It would be so motivating and nice. I mean if those tools aren’t too simple.

It’s absolutely doable. Looking forward to your piano roll! :slight_smile:

Realistically, you can only get that far with the “hidden xypad” approach. It’s a cool trick which works well for a few things. But I’d expect a piano-roll to be more than a proof of concept - it should be actually mouse friendly and ergonomic… this will be very hard to achieve in the current API state, as you can’t track thoseevents on buttons etc., only on the background…

But of course, if we forget the mouse and instead, program the worlds first 100% keyboard driven pianoroll, that would be a thing too :slight_smile:

…this will be very hard to achieve in the current API state, as you can’t track thoseevents on buttons etc., only on the background…

I think you need to update your assumptions.All objects that you need (e g buttons for note events) are possible to drag’n’drop (click detect) with xypad tracking. There’s a trick even for button drag’n’drop (which hasn’t been exploited in practice yet, I think).

However, there are some things absolutely missing that would be nice for a piano roll:

1. Mouse cursor modifiers (scissor et c)

2. Resizable windows

3. Scrollwheel support on canvas

Nevertheless, it’s still possible to make a usable one.

I think you need to update your assumptions.

I stand corrected :slight_smile:

I absolutely assumed that the mouse movement for the xypad would not be picked up when manipulating objects situated on top of it.

If that is true, then yes, somehow pretty usable would be possible. That’s pretty damn interesting, actually.

The other things you point out are valid suggestions too.

I absolutely assumed that the mouse movement for the xypad would not be picked up when manipulating objects situated on top of it.

If that is true, then yes, somehow pretty usable would be possible. That’s pretty damn interesting, actually.

I found an old gifanim. Just as proof/inspiration :slight_smile:

PS. It’s a bit difficult for a no0b to design a full canvas/object system. Especially how to think about click events (support for various behaviors depending on if a registered sub-area of an object is clicked). Not sure how many “layers” (classes) that are sensible to get all these operations and flexibility working… Of course it should all harmonize with the general API syntax itself (event callbacks…observables…)

7544 absolutely.gif

Ow, never saw that one! I like that it’s called “absolutely.gif” :lol:

But yeah, a proper piano-roll implementation is much more than just a visual interface. You’d need a backend, something that decides e.g. if a given note can be placed at a given position etc.

The UI is also a lot of work. But I believe the part you don’t actually see would be the most challenging to make (require a very good understanding of Renoise+API). Which is also why I suggested that a person who took up the challenge of writing such a thing would completely separate the GUI and the logic. Then you could create the UI in whichever language you wished to - which apparently (and to my surprise) could include the Renoise viewbuilder API :slight_smile:

I’d appreciate if you show me how to detect mouse release. Also, how to tell left click from right click?

I’d appreciate if you show me how to detect mouse release.

Let’s see if I remember…

1. You can use the snapback property of xypad to make the tool understand when the mouse button was released.
  2. Maybe it’s even sufficient to use the usual button release notifier? If not, I was using the technique above.

Also, how to tell left click from right click?

That’s not possible.

Let’s see if I remember…

1. You can use the snapback property of xypad to make the tool understand when the mouse button was released.
  2. Maybe it’s even sufficient to use the usual button release notifier? If not, I was using the technique above.
  1. So, mouse will always jump somewhere on release? It’s not welcome.

2. But if I place button over or under XYpad, only one of them will get mouse

That’s not possible.

Is it possible to use some other frameworks for that?

1. So, mouse will always jump somewhere on release? It’s not welcome.

Never seen that happen.

1. But if I place button over or under XYpad, only one of them will get mouse

Yes. I might show some example in the scripting forum eventually.

Is it possible to use some other frameworks for that?

If you want to force matters (on Windows only), you could probably use something like AutoHotkeys to trigger a shortcut in your tool on right mouse click. That’s the only thing I can come up with…