Not a specific RENOISE tip and trick but just an hour of Inspiration

I think, many of us feel like they are trapped in the technical aspect of music production. We know everything about EQ, Reverb, Mastering, Mixing and choosing the right plugins. But when writing music on a DAW you sometimes forget what music is all about: Creativity and emotions. That’s why I liked this conversation by successfull songwriters.

3 Likes

I am so out of touch / old that the only name that I know is Billie Eilish. But other than her Bond theme I don’t know any of her music. :older_man:

Quite. Our collective weakness is not the technical stuff. A good tune will survive a bad mix. But a lot of music we collectively post here is lacking in the composition & arrangement department. That includes some of my music as well. And no amount mixing skills can fill that void of missing a good and interesting foundation. It’ll sound nice but there is nothing more to it.

1 Like

Sorry for the generalization, but a common thing I notice among DAW producers in YouTube is that they don’t “feel” the music while making it!

I think people who started making music in DAWs have the tendency to be more ‘mechanical’ in their creative process, like assembling LEGO pieces.

It’s essential to hum, shake your head, whistle, tap to the rhythm, etc, trying to really “feel” it, so you can find out where it leads you creatively. It’s like letting the music guide you (as you guide it), and not just the opposite. It’s good to hit play, pause at the end of the pattern and then continue “singing it” in your head. It does wonders creativity wise. Really basic yet game changing tip (at least for me). This is a lot more obvious for people who play (or have played) an instrument, or even for singers, but not so much for those who started making music in sequencers.

3 Likes

One of the main reasons I started jamming with hardware is that I want to break free of the cookie cutter mold of “4 bars this, 8 bars that followed by 16 bars of the other thing”, that Lego thing, indeed. Instead just feeling it when it needs a change. Rather than relying on what the screen tells me. And it makes quite a difference in what I come up with.

to my thinking, the flow chart for (most) electronic music goes like this:

composition & arrangement > sound design/timbre > mixing > mastering

all are important, but if you don’t have something meaningful to say (at least to you) why say anything at all? and if you don’t enjoy listening to your music, then who is it for?

It is a good reminder to focus more on the most important aspect… composition!

that said, there is infinite room for creativity and possibility within music :slight_smile:

personally I’m looking forward to when AI can spit out infinite new tunes trained on extant genres (it’s coming like, next Tuesday lol), so that humans will get more creative in exploring unheard-of new sound worlds :alien:

1 Like

My new hero! Very inspiration shapes

Now, more than ever, is the time to embrace weirdness and boundless creativity in music.

AI is already able to make extremely convincing songs, but they’re all formulaic to the point it gets uncanny (even the vocals, damn). This goes beyond the scope of this discussion, but I believe at some point it will be sorta meaningless to compose some genres, as AI will make them in the blink of an eye (my bets are on stuff such as conventional techno, trap and pop).

We must embrace performance, improvisation and emotion as a way to differ. At this moment, I think going weird is the only path to survive the rise of AI. When everything is near ‘perfect’, only imperfection stands out.

5 Likes