Notch on new Macbooks obscures some gui elements

When in full screen, the notch obscures whatever goes in the middle of the upper part of the gui - in my case it’s octave setting. Would be great if Renoise could be notch-aware and move items to the sides, or even if a simple checkbox to avoid that area be available.

IMG_1473

1 Like

I found this: (I don’t have a mac so can’t test)

To turn on “scale to fit below built-in camera” for an app on the new MacBook Pro models, open the Finder app and click on Applications in the sidebar. Then, right click on the desired app and select “Get Info.” In the Info window that opens, check off the “scale to fit below built-in camera” box and the display will automatically adjust when the app is open.

Apple notes that developers can update their app to work better with the notch, in which case the “scale to fit below built-in camera” setting no longer appears.

2 Likes

Thanks Olof, I tried this and unfortunately it’s not great either, just look at the added wasted pixels at the sides of the screen:

IMG_1477

vs standard mode:

IMG_1476

(I didn’t have Renoise in fullscreen there, but it doesn’t matter)

I mean - it’s not a huge issue, just something to keep in mind by the dev team in future updates :wink:

looking for info about the same issue got me this thread. hope bumping it is the correct protocol.

would be cool to see this fixed

I’m on an M1 macbook pro – if you ctl+up arrow while on the desktop, and then drag renoise to an empty part of the gray space in the upper tab bar (not sure what to call it), if you drag it and hold it there, you can give it it’s own “desktop” and then opt+enter once or twice to reset the fullscreen. This works for me to get around the retina option, and you only lose the top pixels.

I don’t think there’s a work-around other than that, but it seems like that’s what you’re looking for

2 Likes

Screen Recording 2023-03-26 at 8.34.57 PM

2 Likes

awesome thanks weird behavior but works right enough

1 Like

New Renoise user here - would love to see this issue fixed. The “Fullscreen” command doesn’t behave in the standard macOS way of creating a new “Space” - which the workaround above describes. Instead it creates a pseudo fullscreen situation which obscures everything in the default non-maximised macOS desktop “space”, as well as creating a situation where part of the UI is covered by the MacBook notch (MacBook Pro 14 and other recent models).

facepalm-picard

3 Likes

Just take a 300 present and all good.

1 Like

It is a big iphone, so every is right about the notch. But I think its better than Renoise uses the space around it, instead making it all black, like the other ones.