Note entry with MIDI keyboard

Hi Folks,

Real newbie here… :mellow:

I’ve hooked up a MIDI controller, and played some conventional piano parts. Renoise had a tough time interpreting a lot of what I played; it choked on several notes, misplaced note-offs etc.

I’m wondering if maybe Renoise is best served for other types of music…conventional stuff doesn’t seem so easy to do.

Your comments are most welcome!!!

Tom

Conventional stuff wont be the easiest thing to do, no. However, it sounds like you have live quantisation active. http://imgur.com/SKUIgiV

Thanks, I will double check that!

newb here too. i just experienced stuff like this, when playing either fast parts or playing out of time or both. it even has something to do with your bpm/lpb/patternlength setup.

i usually record with enough “space” for renoise to set the notes exactly how i am playing (the wrong parts^^). means at a certain tempo (bpm) i choose 16 lines per beat (for played 1/16th notes) or even 32 lpb (1/32th played) and an insane long pattern length. last one is your choice, i just prefer to record with very long pattern lengthes when recording while playing.

what latency u have on your audio-system? the higher the latency the worse for live-recording. and as toblerpone wrote, quantisation can mess things up too.

^With the delay column enabled in a pattern editor track (‘DLY’ icon underneath the pattern editor), you should be able to reliably record in your keyboard noodling without having to resort to huge lpb/pattern size combo’s.

Make sure the selector next to ‘Q’ in the instrument editor is set to ‘None’ as well.

^With the delay column enabled in a pattern editor track (‘DLY’ icon underneath the pattern editor), you should be able to reliably record in your keyboard noodling without having to resort to huge lpb/pattern size combo’s.

Make sure the selector next to ‘Q’ in the instrument editor is set to ‘None’ as well.

works well, as long as u can live with some sort of wild looking patterns inside renoise, when playing fast notes (faster than the layouts bpm/lpb setting) or being able to edit it properly. as an oldschool score gimp like me its not so pleasing. it ends up with something which looks more like a chord than a fast arpeggio or scales.

on the other hand the export of that optical “mess” into a midi file, opened in musescore for example, works solid like a rock. another big point on the pile of big points for the renoise team here^^.

so thx for me for that hint too! gave me a good use for recording improvisations the fast way.