Note-follow Step Edit

2h6enly.gif

For instance, I’ve recorded a melody/arpeggio rhythm which repeat itself four beats in a pattern. Let’s say this line is not straight-going like 1/8 or 1/16 (perhaps ”swing” is the right word here), and the notes are in the need to be further edited after the recording. Then I would like to have a step length feature which automatically jumps to the next note to try different notes in the same rhythm as the recording provided.

Let’s say the first beat of the melody is playing the notes of E-minor, and I would like to adjust the second beat corresponding to D-major by just entering the notes in editmode without additional navigation in the editor by changing step length back and forth/with the arrows etc, or without the need to record and play it again.

If I wanted the second beat changed to B-minor I could of course just select this area of notes and use the transpose function. But even then it doesn’t get entirely correct, for example in case you want the notes in a different order (or if the arpeggio is supposed to be within one octave range only, a.k.a. ”closed position chord voicing”).

It would be handy for basslines with a more complex rhythm as well, and a lot of other stuff. There must be noteinformation entered in the track first to begin with though (for the step feature toanalyzefrom), or something like that…

If you check the Keyboard preferences, you’ll find the following shortcuts:

• Pattern Editor > Navigation > Move to Previous Row with Note
  • Pattern Editor > Navigation > Move to Next Row with Note
    You could potentially set edit step to 0 and then bind “Move to Next Row with Note” to a single key, to enable a slightly faster workflow where the act of entering the note and skipping to the next note only requires a single key-press for each: enter note, skip to next note, enter note, skip to next note…

Perhaps this move to prev/next note behaviour could be somehow tied more directly into edit step function, with the use of some special values. Interesting idea anyway.

If you check the Keyboard preferences, you’ll find the following shortcuts:

• Pattern Editor > Navigation > Move to Previous Row with Note
  • Pattern Editor > Navigation > Move to Next Row with Note
    You could potentially set edit step to 0 and then bind “Move to Next Row with Note” to a single key, to enable a slightly faster workflow where the act of entering the note and skipping to the next note only requires a single key-press for each: enter note, skip to next note, enter note, skip to next note…

Perhaps this move to prev/next note behaviour could be somehow tied more directly into edit step function, with the use of some special values. Interesting idea anyway.

Ah! I just tried it out and it seems to work just as you described. :)I had no idea there was a somewhat similar feature.

It’s an all righty solution for now. But yes, perhaps simply just activate/inactivate this already existing feature once with a command (only one key to bind) and then use the navigation with the arrow keys as usual to enter the notes/jump between them, which would get the job done a bit faster. Also even more logical to be able to go backwards as well as you mentioned and described, and not just forward as I originally thought.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and the support!