Novation Launchpad & Midi keyboards with Renoise?

I’ve always wanted a Novation Launchpad to play around with, can it be used in Renoise? What about other regular midi keyboards like a M-Audio axiom or oxygen?

Midi is midi, they should all work fine. I personally use a m-audio prokeys 88sx, oxygen 25, and keyrig 49, sometimes all at the same time. You can have up to 4 midi inputs at the same time.

Launchpad is USB and requires special drivers; it’s not class-compliant.

You can use it with the Duplex tool.

There are also some tools for the Launchpad and Renoise.
E.g. Duplex, LiveDive or a Stepsequencer.

The new launchpad (“S”) is MIDI class compliant tho! (and the minis and all too)

Class-compliance is only about whether or not the hardware needs additional drivers for full functionality, not about its handling of MIDI-over-USB or MIDI in general. I’ve got several non-compliant USB MIDI devices and all work fine in Renoise, once the drivers are installed.

what i would really like to do is assign a renoise track to each of the buttons on the launchpad so when i press a button it triggers that track list
instead of playing a specific noise like in ableton… is that possible with any of the firmwares out there?

Right; that’s the thing.

The standard Launchpad is OK on Windows or OSX because you get the drivers for the OS when you get the device.

On Linux, maybe not so good.

http://createdigitalnoise.com/discussion/94/novation-launchpad-linux-and-renoise