Octave Toggle for Sample-Modulation Key Tracker

Hi Team!
Somewhat niche suggestion here, but I suspect it wouldn’t be too difficult to implement. In the Renoise Sampler (and likewise in Redux) there is a Key Tracker device and it’d be very useful if it had an option to toggle octave-only tracking like the Key Tracker Meta Device in the DSP chain.

I use Renoise for microtonal music (via assigning pitches to velocity) but I still use note octaves so that I don’t have to assign every single pitch a unique 0-7F velocity, it’d be enormously helpful to me (and I’m sure others too) it’d be enormously helpful if I could toggle the key tracker to follow only octave so that note data within the octave doesn’t have to be C in order to only get the octave. (it IS possible to make an octave tracker with a key tracker from C0 thru B9, an operand, and 10 single-octave key trackers from C(n) thru B(n)) but with this utility that’d be 11 devices less and make the workflow way easier whenever tracking just octave from the key.

3 Likes

I’ve probably got the wrong end of the stick and apologies if I have in advance.

Would splitting pitched samples over the keyzones with lower velocities triggering a lower pitch sample and higher velocities triggering a higher pitched sample? You could then control sample playback via velocity - except then you lose velocity control as you need to turn velocity sensitivity off.

You could use a complex LFO shape tied to a gainer for volume envelopes then, using FX commands for LFO reset and depth to fake velocity?

Apologies if I’m way off.

Similar; the first part you have there is right, if I don’t have unique samples for every pitch, then I’ll just add a pitch modifier that uses velocity on a 12st scale (1 octave) however if I have a unique rendered sample per pitch, I’ll use the velocity in the keyzone tab.

my request however, was about utilizing the key-tracker. Since velocity controls tone within the octave, key-trackers still have to be used to track octave itself. and in order for the key-tracker to track JUST octave, either all your notes have to be C (base note of octave), or you use multiple key-trackers (dependant on range of your instrument, upwards of 11, # of octaves +1) key-trackers which calculate notes played within an octave, and subtract that value from a full-range key-tracker so that the output is quantized to only octave, and velocity now controls note.

Another possible solution, I’ve realized, is if the formula meta device were available in the sampler modulation tab, you could just perform a floor function, however I think the way the signal process in sample modulation works is incompatible with the meta device (since there’s different I/O).

The specific problem I’m having is using key-tacking and velocity-traching to tune filters to non-chromatic notes.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding how your instruments are structured, but why not have separate samples for each octave running through their own unique modulation sets, limited by keyzone? Perhaps you could post an example xrni. I’m curious how you’re structuring them.

When I make microtonal/nonstandard EDO instruments, I usually use a stepper device with step length set to zero to set up my pitch classes, then tie reset to a macro, and use a key tracker in the fx chain to trigger different macro-tied pitches to different key presses. It doesn’t always line up perfectly with the piano keys (sometimes there are repeats or skips), but this method works pretty well for me as I’m often triggering note events generatively, and am not too concerned about precise control. You could use separate modulation sets for each octave, or use a second stepper device to transpose by octave using this method

Dunno if this is any help, but at least then you can use the fx chain key tracker

If you just want octave transposition, perhaps a tuned stepper will help

1 Like