OK, found a singing synthesizer sample generator

So, I also like to use synthetic voices in my compositions, and over the years I’ve found singing synthesizers (a subset of text-to-speech synthesis). The best type are created by people recording their phonemes/consonants/etc. into music software like UTAU. We had a method of doing this via @satobox and Renoid. So, I wanted to find another way to do this without having to ask for vocal permissions, 'cuz I don’t want to ask permission, that’s why. Open/CC0, y’know?

I found an app that works on Windows and Mac (I use a Mac), and it’s called UTSU. Similar to UTAU and it runs on current Mac OSX.

Then, I went and found (by searching with the Internet) voicebanks that were created for UTAU and were free to use commercially and no permissions are necessary. I don’t care about the character images, because I’m not the character, so it doesn’t matter. I’m not using imagery, just the sounds.

I like to make the voice samples IN UTSU, and export them, so I can set them up in Renoise any way I like. It’s not hard, just tedious. If you read the directions by searching the Internet, you can too! Yeehaw.

5 Likes