Old project freezes seconds after opening it due to high CPU load

Hi there! I have a project in Renoise in which I foolishly used a lot of Roland Zenology Pro VST instances. After upgrading them to include more soundbanks, the VST’s have become even more heavy and slow-to-load, making my older projects crash when I open them.

To explain, I open up the project, It takes about 10-15 seconds for the song to actually appear on screen and then I can see the CPU usage start skyrocketing without me doing anything. It reaches a point where it gets to the CPU overload prevention threshold (which I’ve experimented both with it set 90% or 60%, both result in the same outcome) and then the GUI just freezes indefinetly with the weird effect of me being able to still use my midi keyboard to play the VST that was selected when I last saved the song (which basically means that renoise hasn’t fully crashed!). The bad part is, it just stays frozen like that and If I try to click anywhere in the Renoise interface (I’m on windows) then I get a “renoise is not responding” pop-up, urging me to wait or close the program. As many windows users probably know, clicking to wait never results favorably.

I’m at a loss as I’d like to continue working on those old songs. Previously, before upgrading the VSTS to inlude more soundbanks, Renoise would just overload and I’d get a pop-up saying that the audio driver had to stop because of high CPU usage. The workaround back then was that: I’d click play then immediatly stop as I’d see the CPU usage go too high up. Every time I’d repeat this it would get progressively better. After repeating this step a number of times eventually everything would be fine and the CPU would not overload anymore staying at a comfortable 20-30% (considering the amount of VSTS loaded, it’s amazing!). Now If I try that, the moment I click stop, Renoise just freezes indefinetly.

This only seems to happen with Roland Zenology VST’s and my during my research I did find a considerable number of users complaining of the poor performance of these VST’s. Still, my quest remains and I would be very gratefuly for any pointers that would help me recover these songs.

Thank you for your time & interest!

1 Like

I think I managed to find the workaround, unchecking the “Run all plugins in sandboxes” tickbox in Preferences/Plug/Misc. Seems to revert to the old solution where the CPU load doesn’t freeze Renoise for some reason. Hopefully if anyone else runs into this problem this will also work for them!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.