On native effects in Renoise

I’ll challenge anyone to pick a break and use whatever linear phase multiband nonsense they want to try. I bet you native effects won’t be any worse. We can compare and vote on results afterwards.

No fabfilter, dmg audio, psp, sonnox, waves, izotope, urs, neve, whatever, none of that garbage is going to save your ass. I don’t even care if you use hardware, I’ll post an .xrni to match it. The whole industry is trash.

I’m talking about breaks though, Renoise stuff. Not “smooth rich warm ribbon mic’d eunuch sonatas” or whatever.

Why people so care about eq analizer?
Also why it can be the main disadvantage i wonder.

Im happy that renoise eq makes his great job on a track, light on cpu and has it sliders only (the sexiest) ui.
I hope if developers ever thinking about some sort of mastering eq features (mid-side dry-wet anal-izer), they make it as separate device.
I love fast working sexy hardcore Renoise.

I’ll challenge anyone to pick a break and use whatever linear phase multiband nonsense they want to try anything you native effects won’t be any worse. We can compare and vote on results afterwards.

No fabfilter, dmg audio, psp, sonnox, waves, izotope, urs, neve, whatever, none of that garbage is going to save your ass. I don’t even care if you use hardware, I’ll post an .xrni to match it. The whole industry is trash.

I’m talking about breaks though, Renoise stuff. Not “smooth rich warm ribbon mic’d eunuch sonatas” or whatever.

I don’t have a go to compressor but I would be curious to see the results of such a comparison. I think it is a great idea, for one it could rule out any need for another compressor.
For control, I imagine it would serve best to use the same break/sample for comparison.
Anyone care to take up this challenge?

It doesn’t give you a pretty animation in the background

I might’ve overstated how good the native effects are previously, improved new stuff got me hyped. But the EQ is unacceptable because it doesn’t have a visual analysis? Nonsense, it’s all about what you hear. The eye candy is nice but being pragmatic, it isn’t that useful, certainly not a make or break feature.

The algorithmic reverbs and compressors are the weakest of the native effects, I also find it puzzling that the EQ has been thrown in there for stuff that has nothing to do with it’s sound or basic usability

I don’t use expensive VSTs, so i can’t compare to those, but that wouldn’t make much sense and wouldn’t be fair because it’s often more expensive than Renoise in the first place.

Renoise FX are not bad at all, they are usually a better alternative than most free plugins out there. Of course they’re not as good as the one you paid your life savings for, but for what you pay, Renoise FX are great.

That’s true, most of the time better than other free stuff (with the exception of the compressor perhaps, unless for the experimental approach). However, I did however make my judgment based on other DAWs internal stuff which should be considered pretty fair I believe.

I love the bus compressor with its very, very warm and soft knee :slight_smile:

It might be interesting in some cases, yes. For most cases, not in my book. If it sounds good its good though, so just keep on with that! :walkman:

I’ll challenge anyone to pick a break and use whatever linear phase multiband nonsense they want to try. I bet you native effects won’t be any worse. We can compare and vote on results afterwards.

In all fairness of the discussion: at least for me, it’s more about the UI and features (not really the sound of the plug-ins) which determine the end quality. When I compare mixes I’ve made only in Renoise and the other DAW I use the quality difference is huge. So, personally it’s a race which is already over with a clear winner.

Also why it can be the main disadvantage i wonder.

I think the answer to this question have already been answered in thread, no? There are a lot of other topics about it too. I just wanted to take the opportunity to express_ my _opinion while the subject was hot again, and I’m certainly not alone. If you’re curious why Equazlier is important, then do some research on the subject.

Either way, I’m using another DAW and plug-ins for mixing mostly.

It doesn’t give you a pretty animation in the background

I might’ve overstated how good the native effects are previously, improved new stuff got me hyped. But the EQ is unacceptable because it doesn’t have a visual analysis? Nonsense, it’s all about what you hear. The eye candy is nice but being pragmatic, it isn’t that useful, certainly not a make or break feature.

First of all, you didn’t read my post entirely. I said “The EQ window is extremely small and doesn’t have a frequency analyzer, at least the first mentioned factor makes it more or less usable to me.” (Edit: "It’s supposed to be “unusuable” of course but seems you got the point)

Anyway, so just because I prefer to work in depth of my tracks with a more detailed approach, makes what I said nonsense?

Sorry, but all this - including “pretty animation” - is just plain arrogance.

If the Renoise EQ works for you though, congrats!

- - -

I’d like to take the opportunity to ask you of what reason you ditched EQs like FabFilters in favour of the Renoise EQ?

This is really interesting and I mean that.

- - -

To balance things out a bit, I think the LP/HP filters in the new version of Renoise is finally usuable. Before they wasn’t. Speaking of which… A good EQ already have LP/HP filters. :wink:

I’ve become a Renoise fan for many reasons, but I do think the DSPs are overall a weak point compared to other DAWs, even those at a similar price point.

Not all of them, some are great, and the flexibility we have in assigning them to samples/instruments/tracks makes them more useful, but I’d agree that the EQ isn’t really adequate. Just too small, and visual feedback really does help.

Compressors – it’s harder to tell – I think they work well for some things, like smashing drum tracks, but aren’t refined enough for every situation.

The new filters in 3.1 are a big step up, so congrats on that. The range of filters in the mod section of the instruments is fantastic. I love the comb filter, etc. The bitcrusher is great. The reverbs are so-so.

Overall I’d agree that the ‘character’ FX are good, but the ‘everyday’ ones not so great. This probably reflects the background of Renoise – people working with samples that are already EQed and need messing with rather than trying to record nice-sounding things from scratch…

anyway, it doesn’t matter too much. I prefer using native DSPs for stability and simplicity, but it doesn’t kill me to occasionally patch in SlickEQ, ReaComp or EpicVerb. FX improvements would be nice but probably not a development priority for me.

Of course a larger eq display (esp. X-axis) and also a solid analyzer in back will highly speed up workflow. Eq5 is esp. Slow to work with if u wanna trigger exactly an frequency.

Guys, you are not right about the free plugins,.
Some of them sounds much more interesting than the native ones imho…

Reverbs: Sanford reverb, space 360, kr-reverb free, freeverb, ambience or epicverb, tal reverbs, oldskool verb
Delay: tal delays, supadupa delay, sanford delay, valhalla freqecho … but renoise multitap delay is also very good and will be huge with new filters.
Eq: Melda EQ, ReaEq. Slick Eq, Spline EQ¨, Ochre, Red Eq, Code red free
Compressors: Kotelnikov, Nova,Molot, RoughRider, Dcam comp, Dm Sixtyfive,DC1A2, MJUCJr, Thrilseeker (VBL), Density MK III
Limiters: Clipshifter, Maxwell Smart, Limiter No-6, LimitedZ
Chorus: Multiply, Tal-Chorus
Stereo: Side-widener, RescueMK_2.1

Man, I love the renoise modulation effects. You can get that deep full frequency negative flange in the chorus and flange. It seems very hi-fi to me compared to hardware. I don’t see how that’s bad, really. Anyway, mixing in an exact copy of the original signal is part of the tracker sound? Filters are provided on wet side and messing with them you can do about as well at emulating hardware type sound as most vst effects do, cutting and booting frequencies of the copy and distorting some. Some different built in lfo shapes in them would be nice, though.