Optimization For Virtual Midi

Here is something really strange:

Yesterday, I had two harddrives in my computer, not in Raid-mode or anything, just one C: drive and one F: drive. In this configuration, the CPU temperature often went up to 50-55 degrees Celsius when I used Renoise to control external software (Reason, Orion Platinum…) via LoopBE1 virtual MIDI cable.

Tonight I removed the F: harddrive (that was just a container for a Ghost-image file plus some backups), and the CPU temperature dropped about 10 degrees when loading the same songs as before.

Allright, that’s fine. But the strange thing is that suddenly the LoopBE1 drivers are really buggy and won’t playback as smoothly as before I took out the other harddrive. WTF?!? Why is this so? How can I optimize Renoise 1.8 to run smoothly again with LoopBE1? It seems a bit silly that I must throw in another harddrive to increase performance.

Any suggestions?

Oh my… It’s really creepy. Now 60% of the songs that worked fine before the second HDD was removed won’t even play in Renoise 1.8 without causing a CPU overload. This is ridiculous!

OK, so now I have tested a VSTi-heavy song in Renoise 1.8b4 – playing the same pattern over and over again it consumes 92-95% of the CPU power, and neither the pattern editor nor the VU-meters can’t follow or synchronize accurately.

Then I load the exact same song in Renoise 1.51. – and it uses 71-74% of the CPU while playing that very same pattern, in addition the pattern editor runs smoothly along the playback and the VU-meters are vivid as well. (After all, the song was composed in version 1.51.)

This is really interesting… Maybe this thread should be moved to the Renoise 1.8 discussion or bug forum? What can be the cause for all this?

(Yeah, talking to myself is really fun. :) )

This is actually quite cool! Now I suddenly have a MUCH faster Renoise 1.51 to compose with than I had earlier, and also a BPM accurate Renoise 1.8 to export audio and MIDI to OP7 and Reason with. The best of two worlds…

:D

Did you had your page-file on drive F:?
Usually if you remove one drive this also means that the only pagefile left will
get more memory transition pressure.
Renoise uses drive C: (a temp folder) to perform a lot of processing and storing tracking mechanisms for undo/redo. But also your samples will end up in the pagefile if their sizes exceed your avaiolable RAM.
All this processing and playing will also cause the CPU resource to raise in this cause because more devices and resources have to be activated at the same time.

If you would be able to expand your ram or just re-add the drive and set up your page file there, it would relieve the tension on drive C:.