OSC Tablet Client - Your tip for best experience in Android - PC envir

Hi Members,

I became interested in OSC controller development for Renoise in real live performance environment - on Android in one side and Windows PC on other side.

What is your best practices to get the best performance and experience from OSC - PC connection?

On Android, the simplest way is TouchOSC. Enough limited for kick off most complication: on Android, now you can use only UDP over network for communication. Developer (Hexler) announced that they will enable MIDI over USB class-compliant device later, but now it’s not possible.

My setup is a PC, Android phone and Android tablet.

Here are some practice for this situation:

• Create dedicated network! If your phone has Android version > 3.x, sure you can make Wifi Hotspot. Switch off other radios (GSM/Bluetooth/NFC/GPS) and let your PC and tablet the only participants.

• Let the hotspot server (phone) next to the tablet and PC. Near radios make less error in the communication.

• Shut down all application on PC side - create different firewall preset which enables only Renoise to communicate, but better if absolutely no other software running which have to use network.

With this practice I was able to make a nice 5-8ms latency, wich is, if you are not a keyboardist, enough to perform realtime control over your live setup. However, I’m curious if I get off the phone from the setup, and let the tablet make ad-hoc network, could it be faster?

Any other suggestions, ideas?

Thanks,

Grassfield

can’t give you any advice but just wanted to say that i’m interested in such an app!

good luck and charge a bit for it if it turns out good so you can keep working on it! :slight_smile:

can’t give you any advice but just wanted to say that i’m interested in such an app!

good luck and charge a bit for it if it turns out good so you can keep working on it! :slight_smile:

Sure. :slight_smile: I will share it if I finished and tested it well. Anyway, the 3 things in the starting post seems enough for realtime responsive control. :slight_smile: