Oscglue - An Osc Vst Plugin

from a vst sequencer

http://www.vvvv.org/tiki-view_blog_post.ph…&postId=131

f****in AY! :dribble: :drummer: :dribble: :drummer: :dribble: :drummer: :dribble: :drummer:

IT WORKS WITH RENOISE!! B)
only on pc atm, because the girl or guy that wrote vvvv only runs on pc.

oh have i longed for this…

now i can really use my PC!

the params are user defineable, you can also have multiple instances based on different setups.

so while you could be cutting up video feed from a webcam, you could also use a module called face detect.

From what I read in the faq this looks extremely useful and powerful AND way too complicated for me. :P

OT: I loved the abstracts showreel created with vvvv by ampop with a great track from Hrvatski. You can watch the clip at the bottom of the following site.

http://vvvv.org/tiki-index.php?page=ampop±+Abstracts

cool

Think it this way, as I do:
Me do not understand it, me do not need it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have no clue what it does or what is it useful for.

I.e. trigger and control most anything via UDP.

It’s a what what?

So how could I control a Flash program with this VST?
What would Flash be receiving?

It looks amazing but I fear I don’t have the time to get my head around it and probably never will.

Assuming you could listen to that broadcast with Flash/AS, you could read in the parameter and have it processed by a function that drew something on screen, changed an objects behaviour, or whatever else.
If you read all that into an array, you could create visuals (or anything else you can think of) that are in sync with your music.

That’s the principle of it I guess. Not sure how it’d work in practise.

OSC is a protocal for communication between digital music synthesizers, computers, hardware devices, all running through the UDP port.
(so it runs over ethernet)

so say you have a linuxbox, pc & an apple.

all 3 of them can now communicate midi to Eachother because midi is a sub protocol of OSC, (you might have to mess with some conversion from big Endian to little Endian for the apple to recieve its proper messages)

OSC is all based on URL type naming convention. so everything is put in this style of format:

Renoise_Controller/Controller1

so then all you need to do is make sure your port and namespace is correct an BLAOW instant communication. (as long as you know networking to a degree)

i’ve been happily playing with this all weekend an plan on devoting much more time to this!

i have discovered that OSCGLue does have some problem atm with it, you can only have 1 controller per vst, per port, per frame. so to have them all working properly you have to name up a bunch of those vst’s like this:

OSC_Slider1 : 9992
OSC_Slider2 : 9993
OSC_Controller1 : 9994
OSC_Controller2 : 9995

yadda yoda
i even name my vst with there configured ports
so like this:
osc_slider1_9992.dll
osc_controller1_9994.dll
that way you just look at the vst an know which port it is on. :D

i’ll post a zip with a rns,some patches an the vsts. if anyone is interested.

I’m interested. Haven’t set up Flash yet, but I’ll have to try it. This stuff could mean the end of boredom as we know it.
Thanks much choice.

looks like MaxMSP. :blink:

too nerdy. don’t wanna go there.

Reminds me somehow of how lost I felt when I first opened Werkkzeug. (still do. ^^)

OpenSound Control
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Open Sound Control)
Jump to: navigation, search

OpenSound Control (OSC) is a communication protocol which allows musical instruments (especially electronic musical instruments such as synthesizers), computers, and other multimedia devices to share music performance data in realtime over a network. OSC is meant to supersede the MIDI standard, which was conceived in the 1980s and which many consider inadequate for modern multimedia purposes. Because it is a networking protocol, OSC allows musical instruments, controllers, and multimedia devices to be connected to a standard home or studio network (TCP/IP, Ethernet) or to the internet. OSC operates at broadband network speeds, allowing new types of realtime interactions which were not possible because of MIDI lag. OSC also gives musicians and developers more flexibility in the kinds of data they can send over the wire, enabling new applications which communicate with each other at a higher level.

OSC can transport over many protocols, but is commonly used with UDP. It was developed by the same team who proposed the unsuccessful ZIPI protocol.

Features:

• Open-ended, dynamic, URL-style symbolic naming scheme
  • Symbolic and high-resolution numeric argument data
  • Pattern matching language to specify multiple recipients of a single message
  • High resolution time tags
  • “Bundles” of messages whose effects must occur simultaneously
  • Query system to dynamically find out the capabilities of an OSC server and get documentation

OSC still lacks general acceptance, but support is growing.

There are dozens of implementations of OSC, including real-time sound and media processing environments, web interactivity tools, software synthesizers, a large variety programming languages, and hardware devices. OSC has achieved wide use in fields including computer-based new interfaces for musical expression, wide-area and local-area networked distributed music systems, inter-process communication, and even within a single application.

Some examples of software with OSC implementations:

• ChucK
  • CSound
  • EyesWeb
  • Isadora (v.1.1)
  • Max/MSP
  • Pure Data
  • Reaktor
  • SuperCollider
  • Squeak

Some examples of hardware with OSC implementations:

• Lemur Input Device

i’m writing a renoise=>>oscglue=>>vvvv howto right now, i must say. OSC is by far the easiest way of controlling things. if you know networking, you know OSC. its not cryptic like that bitch called midi! xD

atm im working on renoise>oscglue over lan/wifi to vvvv on a laptop.

it doesnt explain that part in the doc for oscglue, but it was simple enough to figure out.
just add
“IP = 192.168.1.103”

like this…

[Settings]  

; use this port to broadcast udp data  
IP = 192.168.1.103  
UDPPort = 9994  

; name of the plugin, will be used in OSC messages  
Name = OSC_Controllers  

; send time messages with current song position in seconds  
; for now, the vst plugin will be an audio effects processor  
; (so it will need an audio track in e.g. ableton live)  
; if this is disabled it will work as as a synth plugin  

SendTimeCode = 1  

i havent yet looked to see if there will be any issue between sending/recieving in osx yet tho.

So, with the words;

“OSC = Kind of like MIDI, but WAY more powerful, via ethernet”

I understand more: :D

AND I understand your massive interest, this is definetly a possibly amasing thing!

pretty much yeah, except that midi IS a subprotocol of OSC.
it is in wide use among Academics also. eventually it will find its way into a vast majority of music & video applications. the list gets longer every day, an the possiblities grow even faster.

heres something to append to your knowledge, with osc you can send Messages an then you can send Message Bundles.

so.
with bundles you can give it arguements for time, so say you want a sample to play at a certain precise moment, on a remote machine.
with midi, it doesnt not care if the sample is loaded or not it just starts sending triggers.
with osc, you send the remote machine a message bundle stating that it should Load the sample into buffer 1st, then when it knows its ready, it waits for the precise moment you told it to sound. an plays the sample accordingly. :D

btw the remote machine could be at my house, an you could be doing this from yours. :D

could even, route all of this and repeat it, through flosc server (flash)

so say you were into Flash, you could make an SWF with a bunch of high Quality samples in it,
you would distribute this SWF to all your friends, then at a certain time of day everyone would be ready to recieve your osc messages, (hoping they know enough about networking to make sure the ports are open!)
have the swf connect to a website and await your commands. (using the site as a repeater)

presto, high quality music, being controlled by you, live. (on their computer) an you could even give the messages a time offset, to make sure that there are no interuptions.
(dunno how able flash is with mixing tho)

thats just one of many ideas