OSX 10.13: AU settings won't be saved/loaded?

Please let me know if I can help with testing builds…

I upgraded to High sierra only just recently, it messed up what seemed like the filesystem, when I saved a file it wouldn’t show up in the finder until after a minute or longer,I think instead it was the spotlight indexing system coz as I stopped and cleaned it, saved files now pop up immediately in the finder.

I don’t have any problems with Renoise though, but I also try not to use AU plugins as I want the XRNS to open on PC too.

Sorry but what a pointless post is this? You don’t use audiounits on high Sierra and therefore have no problems? Congratulations!

If you would think a bit more first, you would understand that I post this all here for all macOS users, since all are affected.

Nice way to make my blood boil… If you had a brain you’d figure out from my first paragraph, that I think the new filesystem is worth looking into, there’s is some kind of delay that could explain some of your weird problems “Strangely after reloading (and changing settings), it seems to be ok, again”…

But okay, I’ll piss out of your sanctimonious thread

I kept HFS+, so AFS is not related to this problem. Indeed it was a good idea, I agree here. The problem you referred to exists since 10.11 already though.

Still almost all AU presets are lost btw. FYI.

Yeah sorry for posting over and over again… I know this is annoying. But this really drives me crazy. I have to boot into older OS just because of this. Restoration of AU presets is often not possible, only seems to work with a few plugins like ambience, but then I have to make a screenshot of the sliders. A bunch of plugins simply do not save anything, and there are a lot which are not available for vst2, since VST3/AU combination etc. Couldn’t you try to recompile the Renoise 3.1.1 source using the 10.12 SDK? Maybe it already would fix the au problem?

It seems Renoise on High Sierra cannot read or set manufacturer’s info inside an au-preset.

Saved with 10.13.4(.aupreset, ambience au):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>data</key>
	<data>
	AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVAAAAAD9CMjkAAAABPqmJ+QAAAAI+64UfAAAAAz8AAAAAAAAEPwo9
	cQAAAAU/AAAAAAAABj8KPXEAAAAHPr1wpAAAAAhCcAABAAAACULIAAAAAAAKAAAAAAAA
	AAs9zMzNAAAADAAAAAAAAAANP164UgAAAA7A7My8AAAAD0qXt6MAAAAQAAAAAAAAABEA
	AAAAAAAAEkEgAAAAAAATQ/r/7wAAABRCyAAA
	</data>
	<key>manufacturer</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>name</key>
	<string>Sascha Kujawa _ Room</string>
	<key>subtype</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>type</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>version</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Saved in 10.12.6 (.aupreset, ambience au):

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>data</key>
	<data>
	AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVAAAAAD8ZmZ4AAAABQAAAAAAAAAI9dcKOAAAAAz8R64UAAAAEProt
	cwAAAAU/AAAAAAAABj9R64QAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAhCyAAAAAAACUIEAAgAAAAKPUzMzAAA
	AAs+YPnTAAAADMDHrhEAAAANPw9cKQAAAA7A7hRuAAAAD0qxpccAAAAQAAAAAAAAABE+
	zMzWAAAAEkEgAAAAAAATQlrMzQAAABQAAAAA
	</data>
	<key>manufacturer</key>
	<integer>1298229066</integer>
	<key>name</key>
	<string>drums ambience hi2</string>
	<key>subtype</key>
	<integer>130071762</integer>
	<key>type</key>
	<integer>1635083896</integer>
	<key>version</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

If you now set the integer of manufacturer, type and subtype to 0, Renoise will again read the .aupreset. But I don’t know what then will happen on song save/next song load. Also seems to be a way to completely mess up data…

… So since Renoise isn’t able to detect the manufacturer info of each audiounit, those above described constant multiple re-scans of plugins maybe could be related?

Any public statement on this?

Man, I’ve been trying to work on releasing an LP for awhile, but half my songs are broken now because the patches I made aren’t loaded on ALL U-He synths within Renoise! T_T I’m on High Sierra and use the APFS. My presets seem load fine in songs that use the Aalto, Helm, Enzyme, Poison-202, and Sunrizer plugins… But my Hive and Repro-1/5 synths are kaput…

The vendor/type/subtype getter needs to be fixed, and then also please a patch that allows to load songs where it is already set to 0 inside (saved with 10.13), else a lot of annoying, manual song.xml patching will be necessary.

Man, I’ve been trying to work on releasing an LP for awhile, but half my songs are broken now because the patches I made aren’t loaded on ALL U-He synths within Renoise! T_T I’m on High Sierra and use the APFS. My presets seem load fine in songs that use the Aalto, Helm, Enzyme, Poison-202, and Sunrizer plugins… But my Hive and Repro-1/5 synths are kaput…

yep my Diva patches aren’t recalling on load on H.Sierra

always defaults to Init patch

shit

boonier: I now around-worked most of my projects. Only works if you still have 10.12 installation, too:

• Boot up 10.12, load the song, save all audiounit’s presets in .aupreset format within Renoise, save it to the song dir (don’t forget AU instruments, too, and look into renoise instrument fx sections)

• Boot up 10.13, open the preset files in a text editor, set manufacturer, type and subtype to 0, save the preset to a new file, like “xx1013.preset”

• Load Renoise, load the faulty song. Now load all fixed preset files into the respective plugins.

Bonus ideas:

• Keep the original presets (saved in 10.12), in case Renoise will be fixed and then the modified presets won’t work anymore :3

• Replace as many AUs with their VST versions, using the plugin’s preset mechanism, in case, there is any

• Some plugins won’t evenwork with this workaround. This will be the case then after reloading your fixed project once. e.g. Zebra2 au doesn’t work here

Thanks @ffx for that. Lots of ideas there. I was thinking of migrating to the VST versions where possible. It’s a bit of a faff though innit?

I was relatively ambivalent about the pace of updates Renoise was getting, but this throws me a bone to get frustrated about. 10.13 should be supported at the very least as it’s 15 month since release! (according to Wikipedia).

Lately, and separately, I’ve come to think that using VST versions for everything is more stable anyway when using multiple DAW environments. Reaper tends to prefer VST over AU given that it’s own stock dsp effects are VST. Perhaps it’s an article I read that most plugins are written for VST, and the AU is wrapped around it afterward.

Probably just bollocks though

Some issues for UHE plugins in High Sierra with the new APFS file systems have been sorted out by UHE already. Have you guys tried updating your UHE plugins? See http://flyvatüt.de/news/ (macOS High Sierra (10.13) compatibility)

I never could replicate any of those issues here, but I also didn’t tried the new APFS. Maybe that’s what’s breaking things in some plugins?

I have all U-HE plugins up to date, yes. Did you try my suggestion with ambience? The main problem here is that AUs are saved all like described above, only in Renoise. Because it is saved with 0s, Renoise also expects 0s everywhere while loading. I can replicate this on 10.13.6 and 10.13.4.

Also, did you try this with the available 3.1.1 build? Maybe you already fixed it by updating audiounit sdk or so, without realizing? Just an idea.

FYI regarding APFS, only the preset browser was unsorted with APFS, but Zebra still worked, but it was already fixed. The only weird APFS thing I could imagine in Renoise currently is this: Weird lua table order bug (APFS related)? Bug in my code?

Oh btw., here mostly all audiounit effects are affected, Renoise only.

Hi there again,

steps to reproduce:

Looks like this here:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>data</key>
	<data>
	AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVAAAAAD5tkWoAAAABP4AAAAAAAAI+jU/fAAAAAz8AAAAAAAAEPwAA
	AAAAAAU/AAAAAAAABj8AAAAAAAAHPwAAAAAAAAhCyAAAAAAACUIjMzQAAAAKAAAAAAAA
	AAs9zMzNAAAADAAAAAAAAAANP2ZmZgAAAA4AAAAAAAAAD0pyHqQAAAAQAAAAAAAAABEA
	AAAAAAAAEkEgAAAAAAATQSAAAAAAABRCSAAA
	</data>
	<key>manufacturer</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>name</key>
	<string>Init</string>
	<key>subtype</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>type</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>version</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</plist>
  • If you still have a 10.12, repeat above there. Here, all integers like manufacturer should be set properly.

Do you need any further / other infos maybe?

And if it works for you, can you tell me your specs and maybe what could be different?

EDIT:

Also now saved a song using ambience in S1. The .aupreset file (inside the song zip) looks like (not the same settings):

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>data</key>
	<data>
	AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVAAAAAD8j1woAAAABP8o9cAAAAAI+oUeuAAAAAz8AAAAAAAAEPwAA
	AAAAAAU/AAAAAAAABj8AAAAAAAAHPoeuFAAAAAhCyAAAAAAACUK0AAAAAAAKAAAAAAAA
	AAs9zMzNAAAADAAAAAAAAAANP2ZmZgAAAA4AAAAAAAAAD0pyHqQAAAAQAAAAAAAAABE+
	sKPYAAAAEkOLGZoAAAATQSAAAAAAABRCSAAA
	</data>
	<key>manufacturer</key>
	<integer>1298229066</integer>
	<key>name</key>