OSX 10.9: Crackles with Presonus Firebox

The Reinitialize button in the Audio Device settings pane doesn’t seem to do anything anymore. Before, if audio started to crackle, clicking this would fix it, but not anymore.

I’m using the 32-bit version of b5 on OSX Mountain Lion with a Presonus Firebox.

Nothing has changed here and it does a lot: stopping the current audio device, opening it again.
Please give us a few more hints here. When you say “anymore”, does this mean it worked in a previous Renoise 3 beta or it worked in Renoise 2.8, or it worked with a different soundcard or OSX version, or …

Let’s please also try to find out more about the real problem, the crackling. Can you please describe what exactly the problem seems to be here, when it happens, if it’s related to the Presonus Firebox only and so on.

You are using a legacy product I’m afraid and it looks like it hasn’t been supported since OSX 10.8:

http://www.presonus.com/news/press_releases/Mac-OS-X-108-Mountain-Lion-Compatibility-Statement

Thanks, I didn’t realize that. I know it’s getting old, but it works well if I don’t lower latency too much. But sometimes I need low latency and that’s when the Reinitialize button comes in handy.

But now that I try to reproduce it, everything works perfectly, even at lower latencies than I ever normally use, so I don’t know what the hell is going on.

Anyway, it’s obviously not a Renoise problem, so never mind.

(For what it’s worth: I do notice a difference between Renoise 2.8 and the current beta, even when using my MacBook’s built-in audio: when I click Reinitialize in 2.8 while playing, there is a short pause in playback, but not in beta 5. That’s why I thought the button didn’t do anything. I don’t know about earlier betas, I haven’t tried them.)