Parameter Lock

If you don’t know what it means, try and search for some MachineDrum, MonoMachine tutorials and you’ll see what the idea is about in a visual/audio context.

But wouldn’t it be possible to implement a similar feature into Renoise ?
E.g. enter PL-mode the down/up-arrow keys selects the next step with an entry, the mouse movements, buttons, scroll-wheel etc. can change an assignable parameter.
E.g. you have a simple 4/4 basedrum track, in PL-mode one hit of the up/down-keys will select the next hit of the BD, once selected the mouse movements would adjust the volume, pan etc. whatever you’ve assigned to the mouse movements.
So it kind of acts like an imediate automation input.

Bump!!

I think for this automation idea need specific meta device with command in pattern

T712

T - lock
7 - number of parameter
12 - level

I really don’t get all the elektron parameter lock hypness .

Aren’t these just per step automatable parameters …like olk skool midi cc sequencing .

You can do this in renoise , just use the effect column to automate whatever parameter you desire , on a per line basis .

I wouldn’t be surprised elektron took inspiration from trackers ,

Nope. Its automtion just for one step, not for presset. Try and you understand.

I really don’t get all the elektron parameter lock hypness .
Aren’t these just per step automatable parameters …like olk skool midi cc sequencing .
You can do this in renoise , just use the effect column to automate whatever parameter you desire , on a per line basis .

I wouldn’t be surprised elektron took inspiration from trackers ,

Sure, parameter lock is convenient when you have only a few buttons to control things with, which is the case with Elektron gear.
And I guess that, since that gear always have in-built sequencers, they simply found that, well this works well, so let’s use it throughout the stuff we make.

Doing this in Renoise means being creative with MIDI mappings for navigating the pattern, and then a tool like Ledger’s Automation Single Slider:
https://www.renoise.com/tools/automation-single-slider

Nope. Its automtion just for one step, not for presset. Try and you understand.

Come again , I didn’t say it was automation per preset .

Altough thas is possible with the latest elektron gear , it’s called soundlocks

Its idea for 1 command 1 step vs 3 command 3 step (1 original parammeter, 2 special parameter, 3 1 original parametr)

This would indeed be a nice feature for the new Renoise update!

What is this? No, i won’t watch videos to understand.

its lock for one parameter in one step (note) without global automation. if you used vel/pan in pattern you can understand.

Jalex, I think you have to explain the feature it in a bit more detail.

First of all, OP talks about some way to use the mouse for controlling the values.

But, it seems this is not something you are not interested in?

Are you then looking for a specific way to input automation in the form of pattern fx-command - basically, a more streamlined/faster way to sequence effect commands?

Or are we talking about some kind of “arpeggiator” meta-device that can magically change values, that would work independently of the global timeline?

An Elektron-style workflow is possible in Renoise using hardware (MIDI controllers), of course. Are we talking about that as well?

See, I’m confused as well :slight_smile:

Yeah! Sorry)

I speak about meta device with chosen any parameters (maybe macros).

The specificity of this method is that the selected parameter is triggered once and does not change the general settings of the instrument. =))

and yes its will be perfect used in pattern with hot key or command.

thats i mean.

7958 00001.png

WTH you are using pattern commands and not automation? of course automation is like 1000 times more powerful. fucking pattern commands, what is this, the 80s?

So you mean only a point at the position of the notes and then a flat horizontal line until next note? Seems to be super easy to program…

I think if this is a big problem in the implementation and developers do not see in this sense, then you can not pay attention. these are just my thoughts based on regular experience.

Thnx.

Code a tool.

The specificity of this method is that the selected parameter is triggered once

OK, think I finally understood.

You’re looking for a command which can change the value for a specific line, but let it “snap back” to what it was before once playback reaches the next line?

Code a tool.

how?

OK, think I finally understood.

You’re looking for a command which can change the value for a specific line, but let it “snap back” to what it was before once playback reaches the next line?

yes! thnx

Next step: understanding how elektron does it

I mean, almost (all?) their gear has some variation of this parameter lock.

But, if I start a new sequence in, say, a digitakt, and want to program a filter sequence:

Does all steps have an initial value? Meaning, if I change step 1 the others remain unaffected?

Because then, in a Renoise context it would be a question of programming an LFO to do the job (custom points envelope)

And yes, this means fiddling around with the mouse - but it could be “tooled” - of course happy.png

absolutely true. The remaining values work according to the initial scheme of the preset.

about lfo. the elektron sequencer simply ignores the lfo at the time of applying parameter lock.