Pattern Editor/Track: Problem select columns ALT + Left Click Mouse

R3.1b3 64bit. Win7 64bit.

I saw a screenshot inanimatedGIFin another post thatis related to this topic, but I do not know where he is now. Sorry!This I find hard to explain. I hope you understand:

I believe that something is missing or incomplete with"ALT + Left Click mouse" to select thin columns in the Tracks.

Pattern Editor/Tracks (a****lways thin columns).

In the track, with " ALT + Left Click Mouse" youcan (dragging) select independentlythe thin columns of “NOTE”, “NUMBER OF INSTRUMENT”, “VOLUME”, “PANNING”, “DELAY” and “EFFECT”.but does not workequal to"SHIFT + Left Click Mouse".

CASE A, DRAGGING) OK! The steps are (eg select a piece in volume column in track with 64 lines):

1. Track 01 (nothing selected)
  2. Press and hold ALT in keyboard.
  3. Left Click mouse and hold in row 00, in volume column.
  4. Dragthe mouse pointer verticallydownwards.
  5. Drop ALT + Left Click mouse in row 59, in volume column.
  6. The result is that the column volume is selected from 00 until 59 row.

Case Ais working properly. Ok!

PROBLEM 1

CASE B, JUMPING) No OK! The steps are (eg select a piece in volume column in track with 64 lines):

2. Press ALT + Left Click mouse in row 00 in volume column. Drop all. The row 00 in volume column is selected (only twocharacters).
  3. Down to row 59 (with keyboard or mouse).
  4. Press ALT + Left Click mouse in row 59 in volume column, to select the piece from 00 until 59 row.
  5. The result is that is selected only the row 59 in volume column, not all piece from 00 until 59 row.

Case Bit does not work correctly.It should function to work comfortably with very long vertical columns.

So doesin allthin columns inside each track (in panning column, delay column, etc…)

The fact is that selection with ALT (thin columns insides) does not work equal to SHIFT (all track). The case A is valid from little pieces of selection. The case Bis more accurate and valid for any length selection.Imagine a thin column of 202 lines or more to selectwiththe caseA) using ALT. It is very slow.

This can be fixed? It will be great!

PROBLEM 2

Related to the above…

Steps:

2. Press ALT + Left Click mouse in row 09 in volume column. Drop all. The row 09 in volume column is selected (only two characters).
  3. Pres ALT + Left Click mouse in row 09 in volume column and hold.
  4. Drag up to selectfrom 09 until 00 row.The result is trailing the row 09, instead of selecting (test the same withSHIFTto see the difference).

In theory it should not work this way.

SHIFT and ALT should work in the same way. SHIFT for entire column, and ALT for thin columns.

This can be fixed also? It will be very great!

Maybe I’m missing something here, but I think it’s behaving correctly.

Alt + Click starts a new (granular) selection

Alt + Shift + Click extends the existing (granular)selection

if you need more control over this, try using the Control + B and Control + E keyboard shortcuts to start a new selection or to end or extend it.

Well!!

Alt + Shift + Click extends the existing (granular) selection.I thought that this could be done with"ALT + Click", only. Sorry!

Is there somewhere I can see all the commands with the mouse in all areas of Renoise? Kind of like “Mouse Shortcuts”?

In “…/AppData/Roaming/Renoise/V3.1.0/KeyBindings.xml” are keyboard commands…

if you need more control over this, try using the Control + B and Control + E keyboard shortcuts

Also known as Control + B egin/ E nd selection. Yes, has suddenly become a lot more useful!

Imagine a thin column of 202 lines or more to selectwiththe caseA) using ALT. It is very slow

I’m kind of keyboard-centric - it pains me to hear about someone trying to select 202 lines using the mouse :mellow:

If you are selection from the very top or bottom, flexible mark is what you want here:

Position your cursor at the 202th line, and then press

Alt + A : select all lines above cursor

Alt + Z : select all lines below cursor

Both will start at the subcolumn level, expand to column, track, and then start over

I’m kind of keyboard-centric - it pains me to hear about someone trying to select 202 lines using the mouse :mellow:

I mean select a long piece in thin column, no to the top or down.I heavily use the keyboard for selection, almost everything,as it should be.The mouse I use it as support rarely.But you should be able to select long pieces in the middle of the pattern, also. With SHIFT-ALT-Left click mouse this is possible and more.I did not know this combination.

For example, select 60 lines (by putting a random number) in the vertical center ofthepattern, with 256lines or more of pattern.

• Alt + Shift + Click extends the existing (granular) selection. This is very nice!

I thought this would work otherwise.So I was confused.I give you an example:

Imagine a matrix of5lines and4columns (one track).

01 02 03 04

05 06 07 08

17 18 19 20

I believed I could do this:

1. Select subcolumn 08-16 (lines: 08,12 16)

Simple Steps:

1. Alt + Click in 08
  2. Alt + Click in 16
  3. Result, subcolumn08-16is selected
  1. Select two subcolumn 05-14 (lines: 05,09,13 & 06,10,14)

Simple Steps:

1. Alt + Click in 05
  2. Alt + Click in 14
  3. Result,twosubcolumns05-14isselected

This is possible with Shift + Alt + Click in step 2, which it is wonderful (Shift is usual for selection)… Danoise, is there a keyboard command that lets you do this very fast?

With Ctrl+B and Ctrl+E, I a little slow,especially in patternswithmany lines…

Thank you very much for answering!

For methis topicis resolved.

Danoise, is there a keyboard command that lets you do this very fast?

Well, the Alt-selection is essentiallydoing the same thing as with mouse selection. So you would position the cursor in either the first or last column, hit Alt+Shift and use the arrow keys to create the selection.

The alternative would be the begin/end selection shortcuts - but as you point out:

With Ctrl+B and Ctrl+E,Ia little slow,especially inpatternswithmany lines…

It’s true - there is no “silver bullet” here - you can combine these shortcuts with page up/down and F9/F10/F11/F12 for jumping across many lines,but mouse selection _can_be more efficient sometimes. Whichever works best B)