Pattern effect commands on one track affecting another track

Hi all,

I’ve been using Renoise almost exclusively since May, and while I’m far from being a pro user, I know the ins and outs of it more than well enough; however, had to register an account on the forums in hopes of troubleshooting this issue I started to have today with a project I am working on. Basically, there are numerous instances where using both note volume commands as well as enabling the VST that’s directly in the drum track with 100x will affect another track that’s playing at the same time. Very perplexed by this, as not only have I never encountered this before, but this wasn’t happening in this particular project until after I woke up and opened it to work on it more. Any ideas?

using both note volume commands as well as enabling the VST that’s directly in the drum track with 100x will affect another track that’s playing at the same time

Not exactly sure what you mean by “100x” - guess it’s a pattern command, referring to some parameter of the plugin.

But, perhaps you are using a single plugin instance in multiple tracks?
If you are changing a parameter in one track, this will also affect “the other track”, as we are really just talking about a single plugin which shares it’s audio across tracks. It does not magically gain two sets of parameters - you need to create a unique instance for each track if you are planning to create different automation in each track.

Also, if you are triggering notes from the plugin in multiple tracks, the audio output from the plugin will be re-routed (“jump”) from track to track as notes are encountered during playback - you won’t really notice this unless you begin to add DSP FX or change the mixer levels for each track - then you will immediately notice, it could even result in audible artifacts like clicks.

Usually, a DAW restricts you to using a plugin on a specific track. Renoise doesn’t, so it’s up to you to plan (avoid) such situations.

Not exactly sure what you mean by “100x” - guess it’s a pattern command, referring to some parameter of the plugin.

But, perhaps you are using a single plugin instance in multiple tracks?
If you are changing a parameter in one track, this will also affect “the other track”, as we are really just talking about a single plugin which shares it’s audio across tracks. It does not magically gain two sets of parameters - you need to create a unique instance for each track if you are planning to create different automation in each track.

Also, if you are triggering notes from the plugin in multiple tracks, the audio output from the plugin will be re-routed (“jump”) from track to track as notes are encountered during playback - you won’t really notice this unless you begin to add DSP FX or change the mixer levels for each track - then you will immediately notice, it could even result in audible artifacts like clicks.

Usually, a DAW restricts you to using a plugin on a specific track. Renoise doesn’t, so it’s up to you to plan (avoid) such situations.

Oh, I meant “1001” to enable the plugin, and I am definitely only using the instance on one track. However, seems like a reset of my computer fixed it, so who even knows what was going on there.