Pattern Mutantrix

Hello community!

I have been thinking a lot about a tool called a pattern matrix. Despite its convenience, subconsciously, I have always desired some further evolution because currently, the Renoise sequencer feels a bit static to me. However, I have absolutely no desire for my track data to be displayed like in other DAWs, as on a larger scale, it becomes a cluttered mess that lacks informativeness. I really want to preserve the ideology of a tracker even in such forms and approaches. While studying the heritage of demoscene tools, I came up with an idea that includes aspects of the song mode from an Elektron mono machine and several old trackers.

Overall, there are no major or complex constructions here yet; it is a collection of regular commands such as pattern number, start and end points, and some specific command (playback speed, divisor, inversion, etc.). This is just the basic idea and an attempt to draw the community’s attention.

In general, your opinion is interesting as the further development of renoise in this direction

Thank you for your opinion and time.

5 Likes

update version

TRN - number of row
LNGT - pattern length
BPM - individual cutting speed
Ptr - number of pattern
Stp - start pattern point in row
In-Out - start and out point of pattern
Cmd - specific commands. (divider, multiplier, play ahead, etc.)

2 Likes

I personally don’t like the idea of using the same pattern multiple times (00->00->01->00 etc.) and always use unique pattern numbers even if sometimes there is no difference between them

I have used other trackers and totally understand this type of workflow but I think it’s a step back from what we currently have in Renoise (unless we are trying to save the planet and reduce the carbon footprint lol)
I must confess sometimes I barely understand what’s going on in my tunes and by looking at your last pictures with this digital hell I’m scared already

And since we talk about the pattern matrix:
What I think is missing

• different layers of the same track in pattern matrix (so it could fit different outtakes for example, or note information that you don’t want to delete just in case)
  • being able to skip patterns (to disable them and jump further, not just turning them on/off)

That would totally help with composing in my opinion

1 Like

Hello!

Thank you for the feedback. I also like the idea that each pattern in the list has a unique status.

This idea lies in the realm of using templates to vary existing elements in terms of shifting, transposing, and dividing the speed of individual pattern parts without disrupting the structure of the existing template. In certain cases, when working on arrangements on a larger scale, this can provide a significant boost to creativity. Working with details in Renoise is implemented excellently, but working with larger fragments can be equally useful, which I sometimes find lacking personally.

By the way, from the perspective of visualization, this function is very helpful for my needs.

1 Like

i like this idea :brain:

1 Like

I also like this idea, adding to the pattern matrix is something I have brought up before, currently it runs as one pattern per block,I would love to see each track have a switchable pattern per block,instantly adds more variation to anything you are making,I have also talked about a rotating option,just a little button or something that you can set to xx number of lines up or down so that when pressed it shifts the pattern (in current block)in the track up or down by the set amount of lines.The pattern matrix would become way less static.

2 Likes

Hello! Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I remember the discussions, and some of the comments were probably yours, which might have inspired me to come up with this layout.

It would be great to turn the work into a Song mode list (pattern matrix) on a separate page while preserving the structure of Renoise and staying true to the tracker ideology. I generally like this idea as it would provide many possibilities for polyrhythmic structures within one pattern, creating various interesting elements and expanding Renoise’s functionality for live performances.

1 Like