Pattern Numbers Reshuffling After Clone Or Make Unique

“New” patterns simply get new numbers, You can’t create new patterns with the same numbers and you never could in the past either. You describe the desire for pattern repeat:

Ctrl+alt+ins for repeat.
You can change the keyboard shortcuts to the old ones if you desire, they are all customizable.

I agree. If you want this at all, it’s something you want to do once in a while, not all the time.

There’s lot’s of different threads on this forum where this issue has been brought up. Very, very few seem to like it.

How about:

-Jester
www.beatsbyjester.com

I am also confused by the ordering features, they are also useless and destructive for me because I am also identifying patterns by their number, and even whole sequences (say 14,15,20,21).

Additional to the mentioned workflow argument, using “unordered” sequences is not unlogical at all and give you precious information of your song and how you could improve it:

1. You know when you have changed the pattern sequence. E.g. you have a sequence 9,10,10,11, and later in the song 9,10,10,65, I know exactly that
    a ) there is a change in the sequence in the last pattern (mostly a break)
    b ) I have made this change at a later stage (because of the high pattern number)
  2. Arrangement: When looking at the pattern sequences you can easlily identify patterns or sequences that are repeated very often. To get more diversity in the song and to prevent boredom you can make some of them unique and add some breaks, or delete them.
  3. versioning: sometimes I am making two or more versions of the same song (a shorter one, or another edit required by label/etc.). So it very easy to
    a ) compare the versions just by looking on the pattern sequence (you see which patterns are added, which sequences are changed)
    b ) identify important sequences (e.g. 9,10,10,11) and rearrange the song by ordering the sequences in another way
    All those things are not possible when using the forced ordering.

+1

This is true and should be disabled, if you deactivate the sorting.

Another thing that puzzles me (but not as much as the ordering thing) is the highlighting behaviour in the pattern sequence. patterns with same number are highlighted by default, and the selected pattern has a dotted border. This does not boost the overview of the pattern sequence in my point of view.

It’s not logical that previous pattern “names” change out of the blue, to me it can’t be more illogical and will confuse all newcomers IMO :blink:

This bug is still happening in RC2. Could you change it please?

You can turn pattern sorting off, then resave your renoise template and the “bug” is gone forever.

No. That is not the case. After turning it off it still messes with my pattern sequence numbering. Why?!

can you describe what is still happening? or better, can you show an example song? you seem to be the only one who still has the problem with the option disabled, so either you or the program is making something wrong

I also think turning pattern sorting off is enough though…

just want to comfirm,
maybe don’t you overlook the new behavior of right-clicking the plus icon??

because I myself had overlooked it until I read new manual. Also the “Duplicate selection” function in 2.7 is now called “Repeat” in 2.8.

And, if you want to never lose sight of your patterns, you had better “name” to each important patterns.
Well, this is somewhat a strange example image though: ;)

3131 pattern-naming.png