Pattern Recording

Maybe I have just never noticed the existance of such a thing… (if so tell me where it is!) but I have often thought it would be useful to have an option to create new empty patterns as you record stuff from midi, or the computer keyboard if thats how you do things…
basically, so when you’re on a roll with some melody or somethin, you can just hit a button quickly to enable the automatic creation of new patterns to keep recording the input to, rather than having to stop and clone a few tracks, set up new loop points, etc… which can be a vibe killer in such split second thinking situations!

I was evnisaging a fairly advanced option, where you could set it to either record into empty patterns with the ability to edit the total number of lines per pattern), record to cloned patterns with the ability to select a range of patterns from which to clone, possibly utilising the existing loop function to incorporate this; it would make sense as you would likely be using the looped part anyway - and of course the ability to turn it OFF! =)

I reckon you could fit this into 3 buttons (and i would have taktik’s babies if he did this and made them midi-triggerable :dribble:)

anyway just a thought

Sounds like a good idea, specifically the clone patterns while recording…

I myself arrange all the needed patterns first and then do the recording.

ideally this should happen, but in practice i find myself bashing out ideas before the track is ready hehe
Also, it would take that step out of the process, wouldnt it? less setup time between start new track and jam…

Oh and something i should add
just thought, it would really make a big difference if you could change the loop/clone points on the fly… i could see this making for totally seamless workflow in the “fluffing out” process of a track…
quite often i get bogged down in details as the idea for base pattern arrangement will change as im going through and playing… and then the idea often gets lost as there’s nowhere to record it to right then and there…
or often just from my lack of planning as i said =)

I read something dblue said about trying to find ways to make things easier for everyone - i mean i got tonnes of ideas that would just benefit me, i bring this up because i know lots of people record things this way…

This idea has been discussed here also before and it’s really a good one! Should definitely be implemented! This would take a big step forward in making renoise more intuitive and make it feel more like a program for musicians and not programmers -the ability to just play the damn piano without having to care about anything else! Please guys, just think about it!

yep +1 ,that and a few bars of pre-metronome clicks before pattern starts rolling. Dunno if it already exists, must’ve be mentioned before aswell, but an option to automatically overwrite a previous recording when looped. This could be usefull when your midi recording was shit to begin with.

+1 Alex, nice idea.