Pdc test device with "pdc only" option

Hi,

IMHO it would be quite awesome, if the pdc test device had an option like “do not report pdc for compensation”“report pdc but do not delay”, so you could move audio a bit to the future on the time line.

For example you put the device on a send track with fx, so the fx can appear before the original sound.

Hm, maybe doesn’t work like this, but I hope you get the idea?

Lol, first I wouldn’t use that hidden diagnosis thing to achieve real world audio results that I would want to rely in. I’d use normal delay devices to achieve timeline shifts, no abuse the pdc feature. Who knows when it will hit the same fate as the allpass filter…

Also one does not simply…just delay everything else with normal delays to make room for something pop up earlier in the mix…

But… delaying everything is not comfortable to do. It’s pain.

And also would not work. E.g. I mean a reverb that appears before the actual reverbated sound appears.

So, it actually, it should report PDC, but do not introduce any delay instead…? But then all prior generation would be moved, too? Or not, if on a send?

Hope you get the idea?

Lol, first I wouldn’t use that hidden diagnosis thing to achieve real world audio results that I would want to rely in. I’d use normal delay devices to achieve timeline shifts, no abuse the pdc feature. Who knows when it will hit the same fate as the allpass filter…

Also one does not simply…just delay everything else with normal delays to make room for something pop up earlier in the mix…

Also you are totally missing the point. The idea was to really simply get the scenario I described above with minimal effort by adding one switch to pdc device. delay won’t help, except there was negative delay possible on a send track, but it’s not. So was would be more effort? And since the pdc device is hidden, why do you even bother? Think twice, then post :stuck_out_tongue:

I did think, and I did even think relative. And it felt quite comfortable, first a bit tickling in the back of the head, but then the idea was just there and felt warm and quite ok. Also I think I understood what you want to do.

What’s so special about:

• routing everything to a special send right before it goes to master

• having that special reverb that will go to master directly.

• putting the delay (maybe even your beloved pdc tool) into the special send, delaying everything but the reverb

• and then having big time latency in your whole song, but have the reverb tail pop in before whatever triggers it by the amount of delay confed in the special send

• and you could if it was for single sounds also duplicate the instrument and shift notes in sequencer, this is for whimps, but will allow you to keyjazz your tune without that badass latency…

In realtime DSP there is no future, no anticipation. Only delays, and latency. You can offline-sequence the future in a sequencer though. I doubt there is such thing as negative PDC, I know no plugins that render ahead of time instead of having that x sample delay in processing.

And all of this can happen now, or maybe tomorrow if you have to think twice about it - and not in the theoretical future where the renoise devs introduce better syncing methods than just per track milliseconds, or, cough, add your suggested feature to the hidden diagnosis tool…

Pros would probably just render stuff and then shift back the rendered reverb track in their daw’s timeline to taste. You could also do this in renoise. But then tweaking the reverb is tedious to bounce to and fro all the time, so I can understand the sense of your idea pretty well, and will note it for my own work to try out. So…thanks.

Yes, I agree with you that it is a silly idea. But if it would work, it would be really easy to implement. Sure it would mess up song latency, it would be only usable for non realtime editing. Cubase has this new, fancy pre-rendering in background, so even with a huge PDC, the song still will start immediately. This in combination … Would be a dream!

• routing everything to a special send right before it goes to master

• having that special reverb that will go to master directly.

• putting the delay (maybe even your beloved pdc tool) into the special send, delaying everything but the reverb

• and then having big time latency in your whole song, but have the reverb tail pop in before whatever triggers it by the amount of delay confed in the special send

Oh yes, that would solve it! I should have thought twice :slight_smile:

Hm, perhaps this one does the job. Or does it also delay audio?
http://www.voxengo.com/product/latencydelay/

Hm, perhaps this one does the job. Or does it also delay audio?
http://www.voxengo.com/product/latencydelay/

Danoise, you made my day! Thanks, latency delay works easily, w/o need of satanic routing.

EDIT!!!

The pdc device could do the same like voxengo latency delay, Too? It’s just 10 lines of code! :slight_smile: