Phrases for beat loops

Hi, new user here.

I am just scratching the surface of what is possible with Renoise, and I was wondering what best practices there are for phrases. I was playing with the idea to use phrases for beat loops, so you could easy switch them and add filltro’s and stuff without having to copy paste the patterns all the time.

Is this a good idea or is it “meh”? A friend of my does everything in patterns to give his songs a more organic feeling, but i’m new to Renoise and don’t know the best practices for phrases.

So long story short: where do you use phrases for? And is it a good idea to use them for beats?

1 Like

Without all-round reply, i would just advise you to try it in couple of beats, explore, and see the result and the impact of your workflow and final product. I use phrases from time to time, and not always, because i’m not used to do so, which i would love to, since they rock… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to second @dspasic and say just try it and see if it works for you. Also, read the manual. That way you know what limitations there may be and what all you can do with phrases. At the end of the day, the only best practices are what you like to use and are comfortable enough with that they do not get in the way.

Phrases are sort of like patterns within patterns (if you use Redux within Renoise, it’s like patterns within patterns within patterns), so maybe this way is like Extra Virgin Organic.

2 Likes