Piano Roll and Computer Keyboard not Working: How to Record?

This is probably a stupid question. I have looked through the wiki, the quick start and these forums and don’t see an explanation. I have been using Renoise for a long time, so I get how to program a phrase in Redux, but now that I have it, when I close the plug-in window and go back to my channel in Ableton, placing notes in the piano roll, does not play the phrase. In fact, even the keys on my computer keyboard seem to be doing nothing. The only way I can hear the phrase I have made is the preview play button or mouse clicking on the Redux virtual keyboard. I see the lights on the channel go up indicating that midi is being sent, but no audio signal is produced. How do I use Redux to actually put sounds into my track?

Are you by any chance using Keymap mode in Redux to map your phrases to individual notes?

If so, please be aware that Live displays its notes two octaves lower than Redux/Renoise. It’s purely a visual difference — the actual MIDI note numbers are identical — but it does often trip people up.

For example: If you have a phrase which is mapped to C 4 in Redux/Renoise, then you will need to trigger it with a C 2 in Live.

Are you by any chance using Keymap mode in Redux to map your phrases to individual notes?

If so, please be aware that Live displays its notes two octaves lower than Redux/Renoise. It’s purely a visual difference — the actual MIDI note numbers are identical — but it does often trip people up.

For example: If you have a phrase which is mapped to C 4 in Redux/Renoise, then you will need to trigger it with a C 2 in Live.

Thank you!!! I never would have figured that out. Works like a charm.

Hey, dblue. Is this the same reason i get odd results when I try to set up midi controlled program changes in Glitch2 AU or VST? Just thought of this and it seems like it might be the same issue. I will have to try it when I get off work. Let me know what you think.

Is this the same reason i get odd results when I try to set up midi controlled program changes in Glitch2 AU or VST?

Yep. Exact same thing. In Glitch 2 the octaves start at zero, just like they do in Renoise. That’s simply the way that made most sense to me, both as a programmer, and obviously as a Renoise user :slight_smile: