Piano Roll for renoise 4

Isnā€™t Renoise 4 like 6 years away

5 Likes

^ found the optimist :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

check out the piano roll studio New tool (3.3.2): Piano Roll Studio v1.0 build 264 (January 2022)

looks pretty dope, and available now, if thatā€™s what youā€™re after

1 Like

I donā€™t follow much of the talk about a Piano Roll in Renoise, mostly because I think the Pattern Editor is superior, and also because I use GuttRoll (a guitar roll) and ChordGun (a chorder plugin) to fill that need in my own playing. And when I do want a piano interface, I have a $200 piano keyboard MIDI controller sitting right on my desk.

My question, though, isā€¦ whatā€™s wrong with those input methods staying community-sourced plugins rather than a core feature? I for one donā€™t need it to be part of core (especially if itā€™ll add cost and complexity to the app as a whole). Iā€™m very happy to offer donations to those enterprising dev/users who create something valuable to bolt onto Renoise and make it more useful in more types of playing scenarios.

I know that, at this point, itā€™s become a meme like ā€œwhen are we getting piano roll?ā€ but I want to voice support to @ulneiz for creating an awesome solution that does not bloat the main product. Throw the devs some cash for their hard work, and letā€™s reward more indie devs who want to extend Renoise in cool ways.

If I had the programming chops, Iā€™d be figuring out how to make it a better tool for live looping, similar to the now-defunct ZenAudio ALK, but Iā€™d be happy to buy a few coffees for anyone interested in bringing that kind of functionality to Renoise.

9 Likes

Will there be a Renoise 4 ? :open_mouth:

There is also a Simple Pianoroll: Simple Pianoroll: com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll.xrnx :wink:
noteeditpreview2

8 Likes

Renoise 1.0.0: June 21st, 2002
Renoise 2.0.0: January 15th, 2009
Renoise 3.0.0: December 21th, 2013

7 years between 1 and 2, 4 years between 2 and 3.

9 years between 3 and 4? wishfull thinkin :wink:

Because the tools API changes with every Renoise update, those plugins will need maintenance and most likely will be abandoned pretty quickly. I mean, even plugins written by people from the Renoise concept/alpha testing team are abandoned after an update or two. Having functionality as a native feature assures that they will work in future versions.

5 Likes

Idiotic Developers! Thatā€™s all what i can say to this! I surely not buy a Mac for this. May Renoise go to hell!

LOLā€¦ Butā€¦ isnā€™t Windows 11 quite shitty anyway and prevents serious work? Why not installing the original instead?

I think I bought in at v. 2.8 and am still going strong several years later for free. Best value in software, audio or otherwise.

2 Likes

I really hope youā€™re joking, itā€™s hard to tell.

1 Like

true. Itā€™s my best software-purchase ever. Using it every day.

3 Likes

Same hereā€¦ Whatever the downsides of the glacial development pace, itā€™s certainly an amazing value!

1 Like

ā€¦donā€™t complain, make musicā€¦

2 Likes

Dude please , just go back to wherever you came from

I am pretty confused as to why people keep insisting on a piano roll. I am somewhat new to this forum, but it trips me out. I feel like Renoise is special because itā€™s an exception to the 80-20 rule (we only use 20% of a programs features 80% of the time). I love that I am able to use a majority of its features in a quick and efficient way. It doesnā€™t feel bloated. Thats why I use it. When I start Renoise I feel inspired, when I launch Ableton I draw a total blank. I think it should be enough to have the ability to create tools for it separately without insisting on it being a core feature. I get that it might bring more users, but it would probably be better (in my opinion) to just keep it as a separate tool.

9 Likes

check this Simple Pianoroll: com.duftetools.SimplePianoroll.xrnx - #154 by NPC1

3 Likes

Genuinely curious, why are you using Renoise when you seem to detest the core element of the interface? If itā€™s the case you canā€™t afford to get a new DAW Reaper is very cheap and the demo is effectively unlimited. I would even sell you my licence cheap as I never use Reaper. Serious offer.

5 Likes

Because i often use both imput methods pianoroll and trackerwindow. i often use trackerinput for triols, sixtols and some synthlines/drums. Most of Strings and Fills with harmonies and accords i prefer to input in Pianoroll. So why we should not have both abilitys? No one is forced to use input methods he not liked.

happy tracking