Piano roll...Muahahahahua

hope the video is explanatory enough. Slots are the spaces in the top right where you load your instruments (at least, that’s what I call that space). I could generate the exact same snare before, but using one slot just for the sine wave and one slot just for the noise. Same thing for the kick, I used one slot for the sine wave / for the body, another slot for the white noise which I use to generate the attack/click… Because I didn’t realize that Set Mods can be added/removed /move up and down… So I was convinced that each slot had only one modulation set… Again, if you want to make a double oscillator, one with a fast attack and one with a slow attack, I used two different slots , in other words, I was generating two different instruments that in reality I was only creating one… While there is a way to create the complete instrument without having to break it up into different sections… The same thing can be done with chains of effects, so if I want I can effect the sine wave in one way and the noise in another, without having to change tracks or anything like that.

1 Like

I agree with “unlimited” note columns, but I disagree about the easier readability of a piano roll when it comes to chords.

No thanks, I’m good. I don’t think that any of those suggestions would IMPROVE anything. Removing the … would make the visuals inconsistent, note blocks would result in ugly visuals (not clean anymore) and I like the note OFF. “Make commands drawable”, that’s something like graphical automation, right? And that’s already exisiting. But, as @joule said, you could create an own tracker from scratch that contains everything you desire. You’re capable of coding, right? I would check it out and let you know if it’s good. :wink:

2 Likes

As if the topic itself was cursed, this thread was fated to eventually become another episode of “fantasy football drafting” for features the software obviously is never getting and probably doesn’t need.

1 Like

That’s what I meant, my bad :sweat_smile:, think I put my comma in the wrong spot when I said “although I use PRS”. Chords are WAY easier to read on a tracker, especially if you know a bit of music theory. And let’s not even talk about drums…

What would be awesome is if we got a cool color stream up to the note off in each lane :weary:

1 Like

@slujr
I’m getting familiar with the phrases :grin: and it’s actually an approach I know well, I was just used to seeing it graphically different… after all it’s precisely as if the main tracker interface were the alternative to the conventional timeline where you they drag the rectangles…and the phrases were the alternative to the more conventional patterns that you program and then drag into the timeline…nothing more classic in environments like Ableton Live or FL Studio. This will help me a lot, I just learned to assign phrases to keys, so now I just have to program my phrases and then play alternating them…Whereas before I had to work on every single pattern in the timeline…

2 Likes

Once I got use to the phrases I thought the same thing, so much so I decided to do something about it lol. This nifty tool right here, allows you to use the phrases exactly in the way you mentioned and more…

not trying to shill here lol but I hope all the features of this bad boy are implemented in the next update. Now, I only wished it scrolled like the Pattern editor too.

1 Like

So plz show us exactly this from your picture with same timerange and same octavescale in trackernotation! Then we could talk…

Otherwise I think a discussion with you is a waste of time!

You haven’t yet understood that it’s just about different input methods and usecase scenarios for implementing creative ideas. And different peoples have their individual preferences for use of these input methods. It’s not a matter of life and death, and we’re not arguing about whether the sun orbits the earth…

happy tracking. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You got it. One can see everything at a glance, notes and octaves. I really appreciate this ever since. :+1:

Don’t worry, I don’t discuss with people who always scream and drive circles. :slightly_smiling_face:
You really need to understand that other people have other opinions than you. And btw, I would also like to see “exactly this from your picture with same timerange and same octavescale in trackernotation” (and I’m pretty sure it would look way cleaner), but unfortunately I prefer to spend my spare time for other stuff. Time is short. Just compare the distance in case of octave jumps piano roll with tracker. Big distance in case of piano roll, no distance in case of tracker. Everything else about that topic was already written. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s funny, you’re telling each other the same thing (about understanding that people have different opinions) :slight_smile:

However now I’m using the piano roll less, sometimes I still feel it is very necessary, maybe I struggle to find those two missing notes, I open the piano roll and get them in an instant… I can’t do anything about it haha ​​but sometimes I forget that exists. The more I get used to the tracker interface, the more I use it, also because I have the goal of learning to use it in depth… playing a bit these days I realized that here we have the fastest sidechain in history… for example if I want the kick to always be highlighted, everything that plays in the same step will reduce the volume by writing 50-40-30-20… 2 seconds, no plugin, no sending of signals from one track to another… I can do a hi-hat ping-pong sequence just by writing 30/50/30/50… without automation, without burdening the CPU… I really appreciate this.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: :joy::rofl:

like always… no arguments, only personal accusations.You bring in this picture! And the Question is not what the octaves have on distance. We have the ability to scroll! The real Question is!.. How is the readability
of this notation. And i pretty sure, it would be a visual piece of shit in this case! Like [Øyvind Lindahl] aka Sinatra says in his above post. By the way, the only one who presumptuously to speak for entire Renoise community are you! My view of things is… Give the Users Options, and let them choose.

And i’m out of this…

You two fight like a married couple in every thread :joy::joy:
Sorry……don’t come for me :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

You should be happy that Taktik has explicitly stated Piano Roll will not be coming to Renoise. You can now move on and accept reality, stop asking for something explicitly ruled out and consider your options. A good day for us all knowing what we know, surely?

Read my last postings in different threads. I asking not more for a native Pianoroll in Renoise. Mostly i talk general on the alternate input method that pianoroll is. We have 2 Pianorolls as Tool for Renoise. But what i’m continue asking for, is a better API for Renoise, with better integration abilitys, a integrated Canvas Control with reasonable keyboard and mouse support. (onKeyUp/Down, onKeyPress, onMousemove, onButtonClick, onDoubleclick, onMouseButtonUp/Down. And that general for all Renoise API InputControls. Tool Windows should be have the ability to maximize/restore too! And it should be able to integrate complex tools in the Renoise MainPageview with an extra nameable Tab.

5 Likes

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying. I hope you eventually get the things you’re looking for, genuinely, I do.

Personal accusations? You’re even more moronic than I thought. Personal accusations are YOUR business. Read this thread, maybe you get enlightened about my statements, which is my opinion. And I always said it’s my opinion, no more and no less. You could never change it, because YOU’RE the one without arguments.

I don’t need to prove anything to a piano troll. Recreate it yourself! I’m sure you’ve got time left…

Ah, here we go! It didn’t take long… Is this another personal accusation? Of course it is! That’s all you have to say in this forum. Screaming for a piano roll for years, insulting people, behaving like a bitch. Expect resistance and maybe look in the mirror before you start spitting. You’re not worth my time. I’m pretty sure you don’t even make music.

There are options! As I told you before, grab a piano roll DAW, be happy and shut the fuck up. Nobody forces you to use Renoise or any other tracker.

Of course you are. Bla bla bla. Until next time. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

cough
I’ll be stubborn but, I want to try to recreate a “perfect” 303 emulation in Renoise (if necessary with external but free plugins, so that anyone can have access to it, also why spend to build an emulation… lol. . you buy it ready). I have been able to create something similar for some time, but we are talking about a generic acid sound. I believe that with a little effort it is possible, even if I certainly won’t achieve that result on my own because I haven’t understood how to replicate some very technical details (and maybe it can’t be done), but I’m studying to be able to do as much as possible and in the meantime I’m designing the project, to see if it makes sense and if everything adds up.

1. I’ll use some analog / virtual analog waveforms ( Renoise’s waves are digital/clean I think.)

2. I know the TB-303 gives you the option to choose between Saw and Square, but there doesn’t seem to be a control to mix the two shapes, right? These are additions subsequent VSTs. So I thought of loading a Saw wave and a Square wave together, using the phrases to choose when to use one wave and when to use the other (00 Saw - 01 Square) so as not to take up knobs.

3. the Tuning control is a joke, already done.

4. LP Diode, I know the 303 has a cut of -18dB per octave, how can I achieve this feature - if it is possible to achieve it?

5. Distortion. Let’s talk about that for a second… I don’t see any distortion controls on the 303, but there is built-in distortion, right? Because if I apply a Diode LP and I play with Cut and Res, without any distortion…what the hell is that? Not even remotely… When you increase the distortion (integrated into the filter) the sound begins to be recognisable… So to reflect this aspect of the original product, what should I do? How much distortion should I put in? Should I leave it without the knobs attached so that it’s “uncontrollable”? I know that in addition in the effects chain there is a specific pedal that made the 303 sound famous, or at least a particular kind of distortion, the RAT, I found a pedal from Nembrini Audio which is exactly that.

6. The sequencer, the option of exploiting the phrases seems obvious to me, I found a video by Composing Gloves that shows how to make Slides in Renoise using the tracker commands, the accent can be generated with an automation programmed on the single step, I think it’s exactly like turning on the Accent light on a nice VST (as long as the Accent control is mapped correctly and I still have to work on this a bit)… what else is missing…? What do you do in those damn built-in sequencers? Ah, we don’t have (I think) the possibility of making the Sequencer go backwards or in ping pong like for the loop modes… We’ll make do with our imagination by reversing the sequences… what else can contribute? a particular eq curve? Reverb? One thing I noticed, for example listening to Underdog Music’s acid (he usually uses Phoscyon 2) when he plays with the cutoff, with the resonance set to maximum (or almost, in short, as long as it is pleasant for the ear) yes it forms a particular beautiful, brilliant “ring”, it hits you right in the brain… So I tried with the EQ to create an additional “resonance” in the acid area, it certainly gave some delicious air to the sound but no , I didn’t get that ring I was looking for… They probably sell that to you with Phoscyon haha, or they will have used post production techniques without then revealing them, and so I could actually get to that result, but I don’t know how. Hell, ignore me. I’ll reread this in a couple of hours and decide if I’m a genius or an idiot.

Why do you always have to be so toxic?

1 Like

I HATE THAT WORD.

This thread should be renamed in “Chit Chat” or something like that.

@slujr is the man when it comes to native sound creations, and he already created an “Acid” instrument. Maybe it inspires you somehow, and I’m pretty sure in case of questions Mr. Zensphere will gladly help. Btw, I think despite your current “studio” you’re doing well. You can handle several DAWs, you design sounds, you probably also create music, you’re interested and seemingly open minded but also critical, which is good. You really need a proper computer, and a desk of course. :wink:

Always? He’s the toxic one. What I’ve responded had to be said exactly this way, I’m sorry about that. After years I cannot tolerate his outrageous way to communicate and his common behavior of complete ignorance in terms of what was written anymore. And it’s just annoying that he continues to repeat what already has been said a million times. But you’re absolutely right, it’s probably the best to ignore instead of reacting this way…

1 Like

He used it,you used it and when i clicked the link i saw it again.I can’t escape that word.

1 Like