Pitch Detection

Is there anyway that renoise can do any pitch detection? Or is there any useful vst plugins that can do this?
I ask this cause I am lazy with my ears :D and it would be a great help for tuning my kicks and basslines together.

most pitch detection sucks for anything that’s not close to a sin wave… train your ears ;)

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gtune.htm

Nice one Looza thats the sort of thing i’m after. Have had a quick play and seems to detect the pitch of synths fine. It did not seem to pick up the frequency of a syntheized kick though.

well, that one hasn’t a steady frequency, a kick is a kick because the frequency drops down… Try an FFT for that, a good one is freakoscope:

http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/ffttools/

This shows you the freq-range a kick works in (I suppose you need this for mixing?)

Strangely enough thats what I have been doing before hand. Getting the frequency from the FFT and then from that working out the musical pitch.

Mhh, there are “tonal” kicks out there, but most are not really tonal… And are not even supposed so, to not interfere with the music… Imagine a Kick playing some note resembling #F while you play a E-Minor-Chord… Would sound horrible. (Although you can “tune” also your drums which I often do)

What you could do is to try to whistle/sing the pitch of the kick into a mic and check that with gtune… That’s what I do with sounds that gtune can’t analyze :)

alot of the kicks I have, have been made using a process similar to the one on this site http://www.psymatix.com/kickdrum.html
Usually the basis would be a sine at some low frequency. Then a pitch envelope is added to kick so it gives it a slap.
As most of these kicks have been made with base frequency it would be useful to try and determine this using some kind of software.

That. Is Amazing!!! :w00t:

Envelope meaning the pitch changes over time.

But they don’t have the same throughout, as you have already specified the frequency changes as determined by an envelope.

You could try cutting a couple of cycles of the beginning of the kick, looping it and determining the frequency of that. Not sure it would work as desired but may be worth a try.

yeah I see what you mean Kazakore. One of the things I have tried doing is looping the part of the kick waveform that looks like the sine has a constant frequency. Using the loop I could then sustain that part of the waveform and use gvst to determine the pitch.
I seem to have had the most success with using an fft and determing its fundamental with that.

I’m tellin you man, the human mind = much better than any FFT algo at pitch detection ;)

you are most likely right byte smasher but i’m a lazy person ;)

Some people are pitch perfect while others are completely tone deaf. Sure somebody with a good aptitude and a bit of dedication could do it easily but for others it will be nigh on impossible. Bit like crossing your eyes or rolling your tongue.

i dunno, i just can’t remember pitches. i was listening to NPR last night. and a piece they were doing had something to do with classical composers and film composers and how classical composers looked down on film composers they called them “12 Tone Masters!”

the phrase hit me square in the head. i was like OMG!!! there really is only 12!! and i can’t remember any of them!!!

like when i get an idea for melody. i hunt for the notes, and never really pay attention to what they are as i’ve done sample based stuff for so long an the translation between what i sampled and tuning it never really interested me. i just gave up on caring about what pitch was which. i had played guitar for a time before this and would delibrately tune it to whatever was sounding good together with the other strings, which was mostly discordant at the time. never worrying if i could ever play it again! cuz all i had to do was find the notes. :D

but really i now would like to know what is going on in classical and symphonic orchestras, and mainly my music. that Gtune is a blessing.
i can now go through all kinds of stuff and be able to remember what i saw, thus creating those memories everyone needs to access to formulate the understanding to just know them.

It feels to me like more effort to figure out the pitch using a VST than your ears. Anyway, best to think in frequencies rather than notes - use a spectrum analyzer…

why would it be better to think in freq’s rather than notes?

The logic being that, is not all kicks have a dominant note, but all kicks have a range of frequencies.

I will always have a bit to learn when it comes to kicks, but here is a list of guidelines/techniques I can think of:

• Often if I can hear a pitch in the kick, I will tune it to the key of the music.
  • Find a pitchless kick and mix it with a sinewave via ‘Render to Sample’. Loop it at the end, and use the envelope editor - and even the pitch envelope.
  • Using a Hipass filter can bring a kick to life.
  • If you’re EQing too much, you are using the wrong kick!
  • Learn about sidechaining. Or you can emulate it using automation. I applied it here.
  • A perceived pitch in a sound is just a dominant frequency. You could use a resonant filter (rez on Filter3->LPF) and use a note->frequency table like this one to ‘pitch’ your kick.