Pitch Stepper inconsistency

When using the stepper (sample modulation device, pitch section), step value 0 doesn’t behave the same way as step value >0. Values above 0 permits changes (via macro) without altering previously triggered voices. Step value 0 will alter all previous voices.

I am guessing this is a side effect from the core not changing some ‘register/pointer’ when step==0, but the behavior seems inconsistent to me. Maybe I’m wrong, and it is highly desirable for other reasons?

I am guessing that the behavior is the same for the other modulation sections.

PS. I was really hoping to use a macro-controlled step device (macro->reset parameter) with step 0 to transpose samples in a way that won’t break playing voices. (The idea being to do an adaptive just intonation experiment, changing the just intonation scale to the current root note of the chord progression.)

Found the simple workaround by making the step parameter equal to the length parameter. Instruments can then be transposed via macro, without breaking previously triggered voices.

Found the simple workaround by making the step parameter equal to the length parameter. Instruments can then be transposed via macro, without breaking previously triggered voices.

Hey joule, for that workaround (and sharing it with us!) you are truly one who “Knows Everything About Renoise”.

I haven’t stumbled across this particular issue and can’t think of any good reason it’s supposed to work like that. But glad that you found a solution!

Thanks! (although only the levitating part is true)

Things to be aware of is that step size can only be max 16, so if you want to use this trick you will only have 16 values to choose from with the macro. Ideally I would have liked at least 24 (for -12 to +11 semitones), or even better 256 or higher. If the step size were 256, you could draw a linear envelope having length 256, and get 8-bit value resolution from the macro rotary to the steppers reset parameter.

I haven’t verified that the technique works with all the other modulation types, but just want to mention that you MIGHT find that the visualization of envelope is broken/inconsistent in some sections. Use ears and not eyes when experimenting.