Pitching drum breaks

Hello forum. I’ve looked around for some answers and can’t find anything definitive and I’m not sure if they cover what I’m after. I know the way renoise works with regards to pitching up and down notes, but I’m wondering if there’s a way I can make it a lot “snappier”. The only example I can think of is this omni trio song where the hits are pitched very sharply up and down. I can do this say, with reaper, adding ReaPitch to the FX in a track and then automating it myself by hand, but that’s not really what I want to do. I’d rather use renoise than anything else. Does anyone have any tips or techniques that they use themselves to achieve this effect? Is there something ridiculously obvious and simple that I’m overlooking? Is it something to do with the modulation section or are there any pre-made modulation sets that cover what I’m after?

If anyone can shed any light it would be much appreciated.

use one-shots.

Slice up the loop destructively. Create a phrase of it. In the keyzones section, expand the note range of the samples you want to pitch. Play with the phrase.

If you are not familiar with the slicing samples. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhhUY7FKJds
There is also this video about keyzones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnOXlgr6azc

1 Like

my preferred strategy is to use a macro to control the position of a stepper device modulating the sample pitch.

For example, if you wanted to be able to pitch up or down 2 octaves, snapping to the semitone you would do the following:

Go to the sample modulation page for pitch, set the pitch range to 24 semitones.
Add a Stepper device, set the step value to 0.
Open the external editor, change the interpolation type from points to lines, set the envelope length to 48 in the external editor (should be 49 on the device itself), and place points on the bottom left and top right portion of the envelope.
Now create a macro and set it to modulate the reset button of the stepper device, this will let you pitch your sample freely (snapping to semitone values) with the macro wheel.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I am going to try this right now. Thanks so much for an in depth description on how to even do it, otherwise I’d be asking you if you could send me the mod set haha.

1 Like

Oh man that is quite literally, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much. That’s been a huge help and new source of inspiration

1 Like

any chance you could provide a xrni example of this?