Plans for Renoise?

I said roughly the same words to my ex before we started dating. :smile:

9 Likes

It shows,Renoise is awesome.

5 Likes

Exactly my thoughts ever since! :+1:

Renoise is pretty complete, so there’s no reason for not recommending Renoise to anyone who wants to create music. I will continue to recommend Renoise to anyone who’s asking what’s my DAW. As long as future VST stuff (just like VST3 recently) will be supported and perhaps some minor stuff will be added, everything is totally fine. And if my 11 years old nephew wants me to show him how to create music from scratch, of course Renoise will be the chosen DAW, even if he’s currently playing around with GarageBand. So for sure there will be new young Renoise users that are convinced of trackers, because it’s simply the best…:wink:

3 Likes

taktik best 5ever

2 Likes

Almost every open source project like this tends to go this route:

1st year = lots of buzz, excitement, promises, innovation
2nd year = splintering off due to competing visions, others jaded with the sheer size of the project, or the politics, or the community, idealism has run out, or life got busy etc.
3rd year = two or more competing products, neither really solid, a bit buggy, and less accessible to the general public - often run by brilliant coders who just don’t know how to deliver a finished, quality product, and blame everyone else for not knowing how to code and fix their own problems.

From here, it generally becomes a different type of abandonware - or it becomes so underground and niche that the rest of us people who don’t live on the internet 24/7 can’t find what we need anymore.

In my opinion and experience, open source really is often a silent killer. There are only very few exceptions, and those are often run by some sort of entrepreneurial personality with a lot of vision (and funding).

10 Likes

Yep, pretty accurate to what I’ve seen in my short time in the OSS community. The politics and drama really degrade the vision/spirit of the project. Definitely a last resort.

Adding some very trusted, dedicated new dev(s) to the coding team could be beneficial, though.

Whatever course taktik/Renoise takes, I’m just happy and thankful this program exists at all! I really do trust that the same mind that brought us such amazing software, also has a well-thought-out vision for the future of the project. No need to be anxious/antsy about it!

3 Likes

I do agree that it’s a complete piece of music making software but I wouldn’t say that there’s absolutely no problem with it, I rarely recommend Renoise to anyone mainly due to it’s constant bugs and performance issues. While I do think it’s positive to praise it’s qualities, I don’t think it’s healthy to ignore all these issues at all. Some people here aren’t even expecting fancy updates with latest technologies but simply performance fixes.

2 Likes

Open Source, or not open source is not the question anymore.

But you not need stubbed around the point with technically senseless explanations. Simply say it as it is…

YOU WANT IT NOT!

This is legit and i deal with it.

I offered you my help as a developer for free several times and you never reacted on my offer. And that for me clearly means, it’s not wanted. Maybe because you don’t trust anybody stranger or you has fear to loose Projectcontrol. I can only speculate on this. And again, this is legit too!

In my eyes not good for the software, but legit. Nothing more. Like i sayd above in my last post. You are the creator and it is your decision.

But that Open Source on such Projects not would working is not the truth. The Truth is, yes in complex or big projects their will be less people that are willing to contribute. But less means not 0! Otherwise Linux for instance would not exist.

happy Tracking :slight_smile:

I can see how open source isn’t a good idea. I didn’t take into account projects I know of that lost their spark afterwards.

I have Renoise and Redux and both are something special that I can’t part from. Like many I just wanna see the major things like bug fixes and an API update. And like many again I would pay for Renoise again for that. But I would even pay for it to be developed :sweat_smile:

I’m so obsessed with this DAW it was a legit argument my GF had with me. She’s was jealous of how much I talk about Renoise :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

a slightly different view. Image Line FL Studio was also a project focused on one person, but as you know, Gogol was able to transfer the project to a new team, which was able to put things in order and rework the project. Renoise is the best tracker in terms of its capabilities and is considered the pinnacle of this branch of software and it deserves more. because now personally for me it has become an object of cultural heritage, which is experiencing its Renaissance. at a time when interest in trackers has gained and continues to gain with new force, I really want it to be used as an opportunity.

the problem of many users is also that if Renoise stops working, they will simply stop writing music. I have already seen this when impulse tracker and Fast tracker stopped working on new computers.

8 Likes

Honestly I’ve never experienced neither performance issues nor heavy bugs. The only small bug I’ve ever noticed was fixed in 3.4.3, and even that bug wasn’t a big deal. Maybe I don’t experience bugs because I don’t use neither Apple nor Linux, and I also don’t need to have special things like hardware connectivity or whatever. I’m using Renoise naturally as a tracker, and some VSTs, that’s it. No bugs. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

THese days emulation means no software is really dead,you can always use virtualization and run every discontinued software out there.I am pretty sure taktik had offers to sell in the past to bigger companies, but Renoise is his baby and babies are not for sale.Anyway Renoise does what it does pretty good so personally i am not in need for other features just bug fixes and compatibility with vsts and hardware

4 Likes

Good for you, unfortunately your experience doesn’t invalidate the experience of countless other users that experience or have experienced bugs and performance issues. No wonder we have a pretty active Help, Support & Bugs section in the forum.

2 Likes

Yessir! No doubt. Nevertheless I will continue recommending Renoise if someone asks, because in MY experience it’s best in what it’s basically meant to be, furthermore it’s running flawlessly for almost 13 years now on several Windows systems.

4 Likes

@taktik Hi. If you had time and interest, could you estimate how much time/money it would cost to develop Renoise as a VST2/VST3? Surely there would be enough people in the community with me who would be willing to support your development financially.
I have Redux, but it has its limitations. To be able to use Cubase/Reason and Renoise together today is my dream.

1 Like

What exactly is the problem? Please post more details or a summary of your problems there.

6 Likes

Hi all
I’m the latest to arrive here, but I wonder if there will ever be an Italian translation ( and other ) for this wonderful program, it would certainly help those who have a first approach, many things are taken for granted towards a new user, and this makes the program it very niche .
thx

3 Likes

Trackers have their chances as virtual instruments or VCV sequencers in the future
Following this path,they will have chances to evolve
Especially for the Renoise case in my mind
Renoise_Redux Hybrid

Rather, a fixed integration of the tracker sequencer type as an alternative to the piano roll in a fully-fledged DAW would make many people happy. Bitwig with an integrated tracker, for example, would be a dream. As a plugin, I always find it difficult somehow: a sequencer in a sequencer? Now that there are several hardware trackers … maybe there is a chance that this dream will become reality. We should really bug the Bitwig crew about it … :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for your concern, I’ve already done that at least twice in the past and will return making a post whenever I find it reasonable in the future, here I’m not referring only to problems I’ve encountered but the many bugs I’ve seen other users rant about (like the one concerning Arturia’s plugin UI not long ago). If I were to make a post for every single little bug that I’ve found I’d probably be banned for spamming if I’m being honest.

Yes, the stories with the old code bases. I know that from a lot of web software from the last 20 years.

On the other hand, Renoise has worked well and happily for such a long time and has moved with the times. That deserves respect for a software that was hardly created for monetary purposes and continues to exist.

In the end, it doesn’t even matter so much that the software is always undergoing massive further development. The music that comes out in the end is rarely better because the software becomes new features. The great tracks from decades ago that were created with minimal means/ simple trackers, are probably the best proof of this.

It’s good and nice to know that Renoise is still here to stay. Thank you Taktik.

2 Likes