Play Multiple Samples On The Same Key

Would it be possible to select several samples and link them so that when you play notes all the samples are heard at the same time?

If this were possible then waveform samples could be loaded and combined as you would in a synth…

For example two identical Saw waveforms could be loaded, then one finetuned up and the other down then played together as one sound rather than having to put the same notation in twice using each sample…

As far as I’m aware you currently can’t and it has been requested a few times and is one of the things many of us hope will be included in hte next revision of xrni.

I was reading about samplers the other day and was just thinking that this sort of feature would be good for Renoise.

The multiple samples could work in a number of modes: play all together (like the original suggestion), use velocity-based switching, or select a sample at random for “round robin” playback.

It could be expanded even more to allow you to link VSTi and samples to be played at the same time potentially turning something like Z3ta+ from a 6 OSC synth to an infinity OSC synth by loading up it’s wavetable samples directly into Renoise…

Ok the routing won’t be the same but this could be done externally…

In the meantime, it is still possible to control third-party samplers (which typically do provide this functionality) via Renoise, either via VST or midi.

Another useful option for the layering would be to blend samples over a range: i.e. you assign sample 01 to C-4 and sample 02 to C-5, and Renoise automatically mixes the two samples in the correct proportions over the intermediate notes. This would avoid the abrupt transitions when using multiple samples over several octaves.

Related thread: #Instrument Driver