playback of sample loops

please bear with me here as i am so new to all this ,

i almost gave up on renoise but have stayed and am starting to progress each week,

but the problem i have found is when selecting a sample loop from my library i tick the sync box fine, i enable the forward button, i enter the first note on the beat etc in pattern editor, and the loop plays fine .

but when i go into pattern matrix and start shuffling patterns around to make a song, i sometimes will delete the loop pattern but when i playback the song or even covert to disc etc, it still keeps the loop rolling all the way through the song even though in the pattern matrix the block has been deleted , for instance block 1-2-3 has my loop, so i delete block 2, hoping 1 plays then gap then 3, but the loop keeps playing …hope i described this as well as i can, maybe i need to enter a command to stop the loop ? i was hoping i could just enter on first note sync it up and let it play …any ideas, tips etc ? thank you

Use OFF, enter it with caps lock or ‘a’ I think.

the loop will keep going until that note receives an OFF in that note’s column

i almost gave up on renoise but have stayed and am starting to progress each week

Keep on truckin’ B)Renoise has got a learning curve for sure, but if you keep coming back it must have_something_.

but the problem i have found is when selecting a sample loop from my library i tick the sync box fine, i enable the forward button, i enter the first note on the beat etc in pattern editor, and the loop plays fine .
but when i go into pattern matrix and start shuffling patterns around to make a song, i sometimes will delete the loop pattern but when i playback the song or even covert to disc etc, it still keeps the loop rolling all the way through the song even though in the pattern matrix the block has been deleted ,

So, your workflow is very much based around the pattern matrix and using loops, right?
I think you will enjoy the ability to use matrix mutes then - basically, each slot in the pattern matrix has the ability to be muted - muting a slot won’t change any of the underlying data, so probably a better approach than deleting stuff.

Matrix mutes are similar to muting tracks, except that you can choose exactly what parts of the song should be turned off. Once playback reach such a position, any playing sound will be released.

To toggle the mute state of selected slots, press Enter while some slots in the pattern matrix are selected, or Alt+Click any slot with the mouse.

Another thing you might find interesting is, that you can navigate the pattern sequence (the list of pattern which make up your song) using various keyboard shortcuts. In the Renoise preferences (under ‘Plugs/Misc’), you can then decide whether such jumps in the song position should release/mute playing sounds or not. Combined with the matrix mutes, this opens up some creative live-jamming potential.

thank you all for the info,

yes indeed mainly loop based , but i now see light at the end of the tunnel :slight_smile:

matrix mutes working well…

will try some keyboard shortcuts very soon.

renoise once it grabs you will not let you go, so addictive… so much to learn but lots of great info on these forums,

for simple looping program i was using energy xt very basic but works,

tried reason but couldnt get to grips with that…

now ive found renoise it opens up so much more stuff…mind blowing .

thanks guys have fun !

Btw: you remind me to put some more work in mlrx :slight_smile:

It’s a “loop performance environment” for Renoise, but it’s still a little rough around the edges…

will check that out for sure, looks complicated, let me get used to workflow first :slight_smile: