Playing a two-hour live set at a festival this weekend

Going live with renoise again this weekend! I usually bounce back and forth between two instances, with various control parameters mapped to a small control surface. This will be my longest set yet, so, wish me luck!

I’m closing out the festival, so it’s guaranteed to be a show-stopper :upside_down_face:

Here’s the festival if anyone’s interested: https://www.chilluminati.events/event/sacred-earth-open-air-2021/

I’m not listed on the poster because I was a late addition to the lineup. Psyched to score a spot, and psyched to play out again! There’s nothing quite like hearing your tunes getting bumped on a 20,000+ watt sound system…

8 Likes

Good luck and have fun

1 Like

It will be a great closing set for sure!
Have a great and funny time and a good luck :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, fellas!

Should be good times, for sure.
here’s the lineup! zensphere 11am-1pm on Monday :]
seoa21 lineup

3 Likes

So how did it go?

Well, I was supposed to play tomorrow at 11, but I fukkin got covid. I’m going to miss the event and stay home and rest/recuperate. lame as hell. I may post up my set anyway since I went to the trouble of putting it together.

Yesterday was a little rough, but feeling much better today. On the mend.

2 Likes

Oh man i hope you get better soon.Have you been vaccinated?

1 Like

Damn, dude. You’re not the first person I see that gets Covid right before a gig. Hope you get well soon.

Also, I’m very curious to see your live workflow for Renoise in action.

2 Likes

Aw, that sucks! Hopefully you’ll be fully recovered soon. There will be other opportunities for you to play live again in the future. You’ll just have to live with that sense of anticipation a bit longer…

1 Like

Oh my gosh! Take time and stay safe; next time will be fukkin great!

2 Likes

thank you for the well-wishes everyone. feeling pretty zapped, tbh, but making it through. taking it easy and taking good care of myself. I appreciate the goodwill here in this community. Renoise is dope

3 Likes

It’s kind of like a dj set, but with a lot more creative control. I have two instances of renoise installed (each loaded with a different visual theme so I can tell them apart at a glance) and I bounce back and forth from one instance to another for each successive song. I have a number of custom doofers I’ve mapped to a control surface for each song that control various filters and effects on the rhythm section and main synth bus. I use mapped repeaters so I can loop sections on the fly to create spontaneous rhythmic variation in both the rhythm section and synths. I also have some global effects mapped to create some cool dynamic and time based effects for breakdowns and transitions.
I like working this way because I can either sit back and just let the finished track play out, or, if I’m feeling like really tweaking things on the fly I have a lot of creative options at my fingertips.
It generally works pretty well, I just have to be on it with my timing

2 Likes

This looks so cool! Do you have any videos performing with this setup? I have no intention of performing live, but I love seeing people getting around Renoise’s limitations to do stuff like this. Cheers.

1 Like

No videos of this yet, but I’m working on getting screencasting together and hoping to offer some renoise tutorials on YouTube before long. Maybe I’ll do one on how I do live performance at some point! cheers

3 Likes