Playing (external synth) live through vst effects - How?

I was wondering how to play live through vst effects, or if it’s even possible? I’ve mainly been ITB but I’m curious to know if I can apply vst effects to an incoming signal from my desk? Thanks!

A Line Input device followed by your effects should work, but you may have to reroute the audio connections using something like Jack to avoid the dry signal playing over the signal coming from Renoise.

I put in a line input device and just put whatever chain of effects after it. It works wonders on guitar, lots of fun.

I put in a line input device and just put whatever chain of effects after it. It works wonders on guitar, lots of fun.

Super! I am thinking about getting a Focusrite 18i20, so I imagine the latency from live instruments going through this into Renoise is going to be pretty minimal. Are you finding that latency isn’t an issue for you playing life guitar through effects?

Super! I am thinking about getting a Focusrite 18i20, so I imagine the latency from live instruments going through this into Renoise is going to be pretty minimal. Are you finding that latency isn’t an issue for you playing life guitar through effects?

I just use a cheap m-audio fast track pro 2. I think the latency is 5.8 ms maybe…I can get lower latency if I increase the buffer but I’m fine. doesn’t bother me as much as I’d imagine bothering other people with super fine ears. I used to have to deal with 11ms latency back in the day when I was just using 1/4 to 1/8th inch adaptors and plugging into the back of the computer directly, so to me it’s a step up.