Playing LIVE with Renoise

Im interested to know how Renoise users approach this…I have never played any of my music live. What setup do you use?? Renoise + hardware/controllers?? …Launchpad, MPD, Kaoss pad etc.

What kind of stuff are you doing live, in the moment?? Simple FX twiddling or playing drums/synths? How do you go from one song to the next?

It would be great to get some ideas on this. Thanks in advance!

I don’t have any hardware equipment/controllers. The only two times I played live with renoise I loaded up the project, hit space bar, and proceeded to play along with my homemade percussion instruments that I had made at home earlier.
This is merely one poor man’s approach. But I only tested it within a one song each open mic setting and we all had a grand ol time. I suspect if I had to play a whole set I would need more instruments, costumes and maybe puppets.

I prepared an.xrns file with two looping points, playing along with the majority of the song with a synthesizer. The intro loop let me talk about the set and the song while soft music played (though I think I simply introduced myself) and the ending loop let me repeat a chorus of sorts before segue to the next song, which was a matter of putting an instance of schism tracker in the foreground and pressing F5 in time with the previous ending. The song in schism had a pattern prepared for improvising with looping commands.

It didn’t train wreck but I don’t think the results were much better than a programmed set.

I don’t use renoise live, but you should check out hitori tori’s live setup if you haven’t already.

Preparing and re-hearsing for a live-set at the moment, for one of my sideprojects (with live drums and guitars).
The setup:

• Renoise running a MOTU audio interface, with a click track / bus to the drummer and guitarist
  • Launchpad & duplex, for some arranging on the fly / fx - depends on the song
  • Novation Remote midi keyboard with knobs/faders, for doing some effects and playing some synth/hammond stuff
  • mikroKorg synth (not through midi yet, though), for some basic synth playing and tweaking
  • some rendered elements I choose to not play/do anything with live
  • in case of total fail, a little dj-rig ready with some fallback/playback :)

When/if i get comfy with this setup I want to experiment some more and bring in some more hardware… but it’s enough for now.

about switching songs… I’ve been thinking about that too. luckily this project doesn’t need the non-stop flow of music,
so I got plenty of time loading up the different tracks, but for the more techno-inspired stuff I do, I’m gonna need a better solution,
probably I’ll try to make ONE xrns containing a big pool of tracks and elements, but man that requires some time to put together…

I’ve been thinking about this… thinking about getting a second hand SP-404 and just rendering loops etc… Only downside then is 1. I’ll have to learn that device and 2. It just doesn’t have regular transpose that (pretty much) every other sampler in the universe has.

Thanks for your thoughts; some kind of live elements are essential. I might invest in an launchpad/mpd; as a poor mans electronic drum kit. As for mixing between tracks; perhaps using a delay with some monster feedback will work…I will also consider puppets!