Please bring back note selection in sample editor

Hello,

A big part of my workflow is to search through long samples some part that I like (typically for chopping up vocals from acapella).
What I was used to do is to look at the waveform and move the cursor to different parts and play the sample from there (with the “Enter” key), and then adjust the note to hear it at a different pitch which is very fast to get a quick idea before cutting or slicing the sample.

Picture from 2.8:

It wasn’t perfect (I would have prefered that the Transpose and Finetune settings were taken into account when using “Enter”…), but it was just fine.

Now with v3, I don’t have any way to do it because we can’t choose the note of the sample anymore (or I am missing something ?).
Is there any particular reason why it was taken away ? There is still some space to display it.

Can you please try to provide me a solution for this ? It really is a regression from last version to me.

Once again, I don’t understand why when you use “Enter”, the sample is not affected by the Transpose and Finetune settings (it works fine when beatsync is checked, that’s not logical at all).

Thanks for reading.

bumping

Can I please have the point of view of a developer on this ?

Ahhh welcome to my world :slight_smile:
https://forum.renoise.com/t/play-a-selection-of-a-sample-in-any-note-instantly/41105

seems that you want to chop up samples as well, and hear the selected slice in any pitch ASAP.

My dream method would be; select the piece, play the piece on the keyboard / midi device…

Hello,

So there’s still nothing in 3.1 to do this ? Come on, it was possible in 2.8, what the hell…how can you remove a functionnality we paid for, without any replacement, and even without any explanation of why you did it ? I’m so depressed right now, being stuck to use 2.8 while there are so much good thing from 3.x that I’d love to use.

If you don’t want to bring back the note selection for whatever reason, danoise made an great suggestion here : https://forum.renoise.com/t/how-to-play-the-selected-area-in-another-key/42194

I would think, that like all other things similar to this they weren’t re-inplemented to fit a new system do to time constraints if anything. Could be implemented with tools though with cool improvements, but I guess, since the functionality used to already there, people aren’t touching it.

I want this feature to return as well.

+1

Not sure if this would help but I usually use a slice marker for auditioning long samples. You can move it around freely and if you need to hear different pitches you can quickly transpose the instrument using instrument settings on the right side.

Not sure if this would help but I usually use a slice marker for auditioning long samples. You can move it around freely and if you need to hear different pitches you can quickly transpose the instrument using instrument settings on the right side.

that’s actually not that bad, thanks for the tip man.

yes it suxx