Plogue releases chipsynth C64

BOOOm

7 Likes

Cool, thereā€™s always room for another SID VST. The price is fair, too. Is it your creation?
So thereā€™s quadraSID, SIDizer, inSIDious and now thereā€™s also chipsynth C64. I wonder whatā€™s the difference between those VSTs. Is there anything chipsynth C64 ca do that SIDizer and the others canā€™t? First I used quadraSID, but I didnā€™t like the layout. Then I wanted to get inSIDious, but it needs the Kontakt player, which is a no go for me. Since a couple of years Iā€™m using SIDizer, but Iā€™m not 100% pleased (I couldnā€™t create most of the sounds Iā€™m primarily looking for by myself from scratch) and it seems Iā€™m the only one on planet earth whoā€™s using it. So chipsynth C64 could be another addition. I consider to buy as soon as there are some convincing testimonials and/or reviews, Thanks for the hint. :+1:

This one is by far the most accurate one, and also like it seems the most easy to use, at once. Not too bad. The three you mentioned are not accurate at all. Also this one seems to have the famous ā€œtrue monoā„¢ā€ technology inside.

1 Like

Plogue never disappoints. Love all of their synths.

Cool! I wish I was in the market for this. I do certainly appreciate the effort they went through with making their emulation. That video on how they did it was interesting.

NO , the creator is PLogue

Yes, thatā€™s self-explanatory. I just can imagine a Renoise user being one of the creators of such a project. As weā€™ve learnt not only through this forum Renoise users arenā€™t average DAW users, and the percentage of techies and coders seems to be pretty high in comparison.

3 Likes

Damn, thatā€™s cool. Iā€™ve been interested in using some SID sounds for music purposes for a while now, but the fact that theyā€™re all paid (and I see this one is, too!) kind of puts up a barrier there because Iā€™m not 100% sure Iā€™m really going to use it enough for it to be worth it, let alone pay for itself, etc.

I do have a C64 Mini and although itā€™s not ā€˜the real thingā€™, Iā€™m considering just getting a good tracker on there going so I can do some basic compositions and jack it into my capture card. I know, this is the most un-cool way to do this, but if anyone has cool tracker recommendations for the C64 please send them my way!

Also, didnā€™t Plogue have another chip emulated in VST form? I need to re-dive through their catalog for sure.

1 Like

If youā€™re looking for free chipsound VSTs, there are a lot. If youā€™re looking specifically for free SID, there are a few. You can try Basic65 or SID. But honestly donā€™t expect too much. If you want a proper tool for those kind of sounds, you will have to pay a small amount of money, which means round about 50 bucks. Thatā€™s absolutely fair and itā€™s definitely worth it, you can implement those sounds in nearly every style even without noticing itā€™s SID sound. And just look how enthusiastic @gentleclockdivider has presented chipsynth C64 by Plogue. :wink:

2 Likes

Buy something for your tracker, that emulates that tracker sound. mind blownā€¦ (winks slyly)

1 Like

Iā€™ve spent my money on other things already, but to me 58 euro including VAT seems like a fair price for this vst. After all, developers want to eat, too. And maybe buy the occasional nice thing for themselves and their families.

I can see that. And Iā€™m genuinely curious, how much do you need to get out of a 60 bucks piece of software to make it worthwhile for you? When it comes to paying for it self, youā€™re making money off of making music? Just curious.

1 Like

Perhaps people donā€™t really understand the ethos and goal of plogue in general as a company , and I am not a payed shill .
This day and age weā€™re bombarded with marketing shit , from kvr audio to face book and the majority is just that :smoke and mirrors .
Now Plogue otoh delivers stuff wit an attention to detail that is really unseen in the plugin world well there are others like Cytomic , Tal ,U-he, Softube etcā€¦but thatā€™s more about analogue modeling ) , the guy eats ,breathes and sleeps about chips and asicsā€™s .
Granted , I am not that much into the C64 sound myself , but if I was, it would have been an instabuy without demoing .
When he released ops7 , I bought t without demoing because I knew it was gonna be an 1:1 emulation .
Plogue effin Rules !

2 Likes

Maybe itā€™s also that most people donā€™t care about perfect emulations? And I can get into that. After all, if it sounds good (enough) it is good (enough). Whether thatā€™s exactly like the original hardware or not.

But if youā€™re an aficionado of the original hardware nuances do start to matter.

Plogue is like a well regarded guitar luthier in a world full of chinese guitar factoriesā€¦ everything they do is finetuned as much as it can be finetuned, Chipsynth C64 took them 15 years, 15 fucking yearsā€¦ That being said Iā€™ve seen people saying theyā€™re selling their original C64 cuz they couldnā€™t hear a difference between the real deal and the plugin, also the plugin was easier to handle and had much more optionsā€¦

the fact that it costs $49 ($24 on their typical sale) is honestly baffling.

2 Likes

The amount of precision they put into it is what sold me, Iā€™ve already got a few SID vstā€™s but I had to grab it after watching the video. Iā€™ve gotta support people that put that much love into something!

If there ever was a chip that deserved 1:1 emulation itā€™s SID

2 Likes