Plug-in Grabber; How do you recover the organic sound from VSTi’s/AU

Since many of us are welcoming Redux into our host-DAW these days, I thought this subject will be even more interesting to discuss since it’s a sampler, even though it has always been an interesting subject I guess (well, at least for me and presumably for other as well).

Normally, the sounds from VSTi’s/AU-instruments has a bit more of a ”juiciness” in the character than sample-based instruments/post-grabbing. Note that I’m not necessarily are talking about velocities this time, since I can hear the sound shifting slightly upon each hit on the same key and in the same velocity.

I imagine people have different methods how to make your instruments come alive; Are you just adding a chorus to your track, or is the story a bit more complicated than that? Let our heads spin surrounding this, so that we can combine the best of both worlds: tracker effects + juiciness! :slight_smile:

I work with instrument envelopes and some little lfo randomness mainly (depends on source).

Sometimes it’s just not advantageous to use the plugin grabber. One thing I’ve started doing more of recently, is instead of plugin-grabbing, I record my pattern, and then render the pattern to sample. Then you can do all kinds of fun shit with that sample. 0b00 sounds cool especially if it was rendered with reverb, and combine it with 0sXX’s to make new patterns out of your pattern. Sometimes it sounds cool to just play it an octave lower.

But the bottom line is, if plugin grabbing fails to capture what you like about the plugin you’re grabbing, try rendering a pattern to sample instead to retain the “life”.

Sometimes it’s just not advantageous to use the plugin grabber. One thing I’ve started doing more of recently, is instead of plugin-grabbing, I record my pattern, and then render the pattern to sample. Then you can do all kinds of fun shit with that sample. 0b00 sounds cool especially if it was rendered with reverb, and combine it with 0sXX’s to make new patterns out of your pattern. Sometimes it sounds cool to just play it an octave lower.

But the bottom line is, if plugin grabbing fails to capture what you like about the plugin you’re grabbing, try rendering a pattern to sample instead to retain the “life”.

Nice thoughts there :), although this topic is more about the realtime synthesis. There’s a reason the plug-in grabber was invented in the first place, and in some cases it’s the only way to go. For instance if you have an advanced synth-riff with lots of different tracking-effects like pitch pend, vibrato, etc… Unless you want to delve yourself into the manual of the VSTi/AU in question.To use well known tracking-effects and how to bring back the sound to life is probably a quicker solution in most cases.

Edit: Just added some stuff:

• Chorus-settings

• Phaser

• Flanger

• Subtle pitch-variations

• Instrument envelopes

• LFO

I’ve thought about this and I guess the “randomness” is the key here, no matter what effect you use.

round-robin / random and sample start time

Since many of us are welcoming Redux into our host-DAW these days, I thought this subject will be even more interesting to discuss since it’s a sampler, even though it has always been an interesting subject I guess (well, at least for me and presumably for other as well).

Normally, the sounds from VSTi’s/AU-instruments has a bit more of a ”juiciness” in the character than sample-based instruments/post-grabbing. Note that I’m not necessarily are talking about velocities this time, since I can hear the sound shifting slightly upon each hit on the same key and in the same velocity.

I imagine people have different methods how to make your instruments come alive; Are you just adding a chorus to your track, or is the story a bit more complicated than that? Let our heads spin surrounding this, so that we can combine the best of both worlds: tracker effects + juiciness! :slight_smile:

Take an LFO, set it to a prime number, connect it to a Hydra, then make it do slight automations to 2 EQ gainer sliders making one do the opposite of the other. Experiment a bit with the frequenzies, width and gain amount and get some nice subtle movement in the sound. Of course you can make it more complicated and automate more sliders with a different LFO or whatever. Especially good for making pad samples come alive.

Take an LFO, set it to a prime number, connect it to a Hydra, then make it do slight automations to 2 EQ gainer sliders making one do the opposite of the other. Experiment a bit with the frequenzies, width and gain amount and get some nice subtle movement in the sound. Of course you can make it more complicated and automate more sliders with a different LFO or whatever. Especially good for making pad samples come alive.

Sorry for a late reply, but could you please elaborate? Sounds interesting. :slight_smile: