Pod Farm: Anyone Using It And Have Tips To Share?

hi there! recently bought pod farm (not platinum) and have playing around with it with my electric guitar and bass. it’s decent but a lot of tweaking seems to be needed to really get something going. anyone got some tips to share?

seems like using dual chains is the way to go to get a tight sound… atleast most of the presets that i like feature two different dsp chains.

curious to see how well it can work to spice up non-guitar tracks in renoise too!

I use this plug-in a lot for all my bass & guitar recording, and am very happy with it. The presets are already well tagged ("Low/Medium/high gain for guitar…), so I pick a preset that sounds as close as possible to what I want, remove the sound components one by one (pre-amp, reverbs, pedals and such) to hear only what are the ones that really “shape” the sound. Then I tweak those for a while till I’m happy with the result. If I’m not, I look after the next preset that might fit…

I quite rarely use the dual chains, and prefer record twice a track with different settings, especially when it comes to rythm guitars.

hi, there! thanks for your input! (=

rly? it’s quite hard to imagine what two signals will sound like together if you don’t layer them imo. so, dual chaining is perfect to preview what it will sound like. ofc, doing a second take will fatten it up due to small offsets both in timing and pitch so i guess i should preview the signals as i do now and then record two takes and run them through each of the chains.

i’m trying to get a tight distorted rhythm guitar tone (not that i record metal but it’s lotsa fun just chugging away riffs made on the spot!) but it’s kind of hard to get it tight and yet not choking the highs.

I think it’s actually quite easy to get “big” sounding rythm guitars (and I’m not a good guitar player by any means) simply with two takes, one left, one right, each with different sounds. A third in the middle can also fatten the stuff.

I also try to avoid doubling everything (two rythms guitars, two “chords” tracks, two “melodic” guitars), as it may sound “full” but will also prevent you from going anywhere else in your mix. But that’s another topic actually :).

sometimes its well worth it to use the same amps on both sides but use different cabs and mikes, and deffinatly better to record each side seperately, but you have to play real tight:-)…if you are recording both sides at the same time put a few milliseconds of delay on one side to off-set from the other one. dont forget to cut the low frequencies and almost all the time they will need a boost somewhere in the mids so it will cut through the mix. Compressing both tracks together at the end will allso give them a real bite.
to record a bass try recording two tracks at the same time with a DI(a real DI if you have one) on one track and a bass amp on the other, and mix them to suit the sound you want.

thanks for the tips! (= must say it’s a bit overwhelming with all the possibilities!

god, i wish i had more energy when i come home from work! i want to sit down and play around with renoise but it’s really hard to get into it and not just sit and stare at the screen while looping a pattern.

I know what you mean!!! its very hard to settle with one type of sound, a tiny tweak and you have a totally different sound…
If youve made a good loop, clone it many times and try to bring in the different tracks gradually using automation on effects or even something simple as volume, before long youve got an intro. that helps me anyway, and you feel like you have actually done something rather than wasted your evenings.(happens alot to me)…(except i dont work;-)