poly aftertouch - how to use?

Hi,

I have midi keyboard (cme xkey) that supports poly aftertouch. I can see its received by Renoise in the midi monitor.

Can I use it to control lets say pressure in a vsti? Is it supported? How can I setup it?

Thanks for help!

Ah, and: Is there a poly->mono aftertouch converter available in Renoise in case the VSTi doesn’t support poly?

:frowning:

Why the sadface?

Have you enabled polyphonic aftertouch in the MIDI preferences?

P.A. is simply known as the volume column in Renoise - aftertouch == entering volume after the triggering note

Oh thats nice… I guess… Still trying to find a VSTi the actually supports P.A… Anyway I can switch the device to send channel aftertouch, but it kind of sucks that it isn’t capable of sending velocity only then (i guess same sensor used for velocity and aftertouch).

Its kind of strange that the VSTis that should support P.A. doesn’t seem to react on it…

Have you enabled polyphonic aftertouch in the MIDI preferences?

Yes

Oh thats nice… I guess… Still trying to find a VSTi the actually supports P.A…

Redux?

:badteethslayer:

^_^Ok…

But seriously… Anybody has an idea for a VSTi that I could try?

Also, does renoise support multiple post-velocity values, ordered by the beginning note?

Err man, cool would be a split-notes-to-several-instances-live-feature. So any VSTi could “support” polytouch. Like making 5 instances of a plugin, each for one note of the polyphony, then reacting simply on channel aftertouch.

Wouldn’t that be a gigantic feature? Imagine! So natural

does renoise support multiple post-velocity values, ordered by the beginning note?

Have you tried recording at all with that keyboard? You should see quite clearly how it’s being recorded into note/columns.

It doesn’t matter if you load a plugin or a sample - conceptually, there is no difference in how you’d work with P.A.

Really, just connect the keyboard, load a sample in Renoise, record something?

ok thanks! it works from renoise side.

But I would like to split each note to separate track/instrument instance. Maybe a tool for this isn’t so difficult to do. I just learned, midi processing via lua does work in realtime in Renoise… Is this true? Which tool could I look at, to learn this?

EDIT: Is it possible to hex-manipulate an incoming midi data, like changing the midi channel?

and another question:

There is “midi polyphony” midi fx available from pizmidi, which I think cando exactly what I want… Is it possible to use pizmidi’s midi polyphony plugin in renoise? Sorry for re-asking this, still not getting, how to setup this.

It’s listed here under fx only, after plugging in, a vsti alias appears.

EDIT: Is it possible to hex-manipulate an incoming midi data, like changing the midi channel?

Absolutely, you could implement a home-rolled MIDI tool in Renoise and filter in any way you’d like. That’s what I am doing with the Duplex Keyboard - for example, to translate pitch bend into MIDI CC messages.

It’s just that, you already have several utilities that can filter and transformMIDI data - and I mean other software, not necessarily Renoise tools.

Regarding pizmidi, I am not familiar with those plugins, so can’t really help you there.